Total Pageviews

Monday, May 7, 2018

The Writer's Life 5/7 - Magic Realism & a Ruse Gone Awry

Magic Realism is popular south of the border. I'm sure there are Americans who have written in this literary genre, but I did not know of any until I happened upon a copy of Miracle Girls by MB Caschetta. Set in the early '70's in an upstate NY community populated by many Italian-Americans, it is the story of ten-year-old Cee-Cee Bianco, who many believe is in communication with God. Non-believers will have to suspend disbelief to enjoy the novel. Although it is an impressive debut, I feel it needed another draft. Parts of it are beautifully written, others are choppy. At one point I suspected at least one sentence, probably two was missing. The main body of the narrative centers on the consequences of an incident in the woods. The girl has a sort of out of body experience that provides an alternative to what actually occurred. I'm sure most readers will see the truth. Cee Cee is then taken from her family of six, which includes three brothers, and sent to live with her nonna. She is accepted into a Catholic school for exceptional children run by a nun who has modern, liberal ideas. There is an element of mystery to the narrative, one involving missing girls. I don't know if the author based the proceedings on her own experiences. If so, the drinking water in the town where she grew up should be checked. The place seems infested with creeps. I really love Cee Cee and like two of her brothers and her best friend and the head nun. The other nuns are interesting as well, and its refreshing to see them cast as human beings and not caricatures. Even the one who squeals works from good intentions. And the priests are good men, not the stereotypes typically seen in the modern arts. Set during the end of the Watergate crisis, I suppose there is a parallel to be drawn between what is going on in the government and in the town. Although I thought Richard Nixon was a terrible president, I didn't buy that aspect. Miracle Girls is only 247 pages and reads like a lot less. Published in 2014, it is still selling modestly at Amazon, where 20 users have rated it, forging to a consensus of 4.6 on a scale of five. It received nine awards, over-praise in my opinion. I rate it three. The author has since published another novel. I also found a short story collection that was published in the late '90's under her given name, Mary Beth. Does that mean Miracle Girls doesn't qualify as a debut? I have no idea. I know only that it's a good first novel. 

From Yahoo's Odd News, edited by yours truly: A Colorado female got into trouble after a container of what appeared to be urine exploded as she was heating it in a microwave at a 7-Eleven. She wanted it to come off as a "fresh" sample. The clerk heard a loud bang and saw the young woman take a white plastic bottle out of the device. Police found her at a nearby clinic where she'd planned to take a urinalysis for a potential employer. She was issued a summons for damaged property. Humans never cease to fascinate.


My thanks to the woman who purchased two thrillers and a summer romance on this gorgeous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment