Total Pageviews

Friday, May 18, 2018

The Writer's Life 5/18 - Choices

Our national curse continues. At least ten more young lives have been snuffed out by someone surrendering to the most negative impulse. WTF?

I've been very disciplined for a while now in not responding to the posts of liberals on Facebook. I'm also avoiding politics in live contact. When someone says it's time for an assault weapons ban, I don't say it would probably not stop our national curse, even though I'm now in favor of a ban. When Political Man goes into one of his anti-Trump screeds, I just stand there and listen and, when he leaves, say: "Have a good one, buddy." When Mountain Man grouses about how idiotic everyone is but him, I grin and bear it, even though he sometimes goes on for a half-hour. When finally he departs, I wish him well. He's obviously intelligent, well-read, and I wonder if ill health and limited finances have made him so negative. Today, when Gary, a really nice guy, said he can't wait to see the new flick, Book Club, starring two of his favorites, Diane Keaton and Jane Fonda, I was barely tempted to voice my profound contempt for the latter. When a retired cabbie uses the N-word, I don't repudiate him. I simply wonder if he harbors such hatred because he was robbed at least once at gunpoint. If all that makes me a hypocrite, so be it. I wasted enough time and energy on heated arguments in my youth. I hope the following quote is true: "Avoiding an argument does not mean you have given up, it means you have grown up." - Saqib Iqbal. It's not always easy, but the following pic sums up life's choices. Make yours. I've learned that 99% of my unhappiness is of my own making. I've gotten better at happiness but still have a long way to go.


It felt more like mid-April than mid-May today. At least it didn't rain. The floating book shop has been stationed under the scaffold for eleven of the past twelve sessions. Unfortunately, two more days of precipitation is in the forecast. I miss my Bay Parkway regulars. My thanks to the kind folks who donated and bought wares today. Here's what sold: A book on French cooking, three thrillers in Russian, CD compilations of Eric Clapton, Placido Domingo, Shakira and Andre Segovia, DVD's starring JLo and Beyonce, and several bootleg movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment