Total Pageviews

Monday, May 21, 2018

The Writer's Life 5/21 - 68

The power of suggestion: Yesterday, in a Facebook post, a friend wrote of a nightmare he'd had. I was skeptical, as many of his posts are political in nature and in support of President Trump. He dreamed Iranians had invaded America. Last night I dreamed of terrorists attacking Brooklyn with assault rifles. I don't know that I've ever had any other nightmares except those I had while writing Close to the Edge. Even years after its completion I would wake up shaken, as if I were the one who had killed. Weird how the mind works.

The Tampa Bay Rays used a novel approach to pitching on Saturday and Sunday. They started veteran RH relief pitcher Sergio Romo, 35, in both games. The idea behind the experiment is to reduce the number of times a starting pitcher faces the opposition's best hitters. Five Rays' pitchers beat the Angels 5-3 on Saturday night. Four lost 5-2 on Sunday afternoon. Romo did not allow a run in either appearance over two-plus innings. The Rays will not use the strategy when their two best starters take the mound. Will this become a trend after 100+ years of doing it the standard way?... Also in MLB, 21-year-old St. Louis Cardinal rookie Jordan Hicks may have thrown the fastest pitch ever. It registered 105.1 mph on the radar gun. I'm pretty sure I've never even traveled in a car going that fast.

In their first year of existence, the Las Vegas Golden Knights have advanced to the Stanley Cup finals, which must have all the teams on the outside looking in kicking themselves, especially those who perennially tank in the post season, such as the Washington Capitals, who seem like they will again fall short despite a talented roster. Whomever assembled the Knights has pulled off the greatest feat in sports management history. Kudos.

My thanks to the kind folks who bought, donated and swapped books on this gorgeous day, especially to Action Girl, aka She of the Bewitching Eyes, who bought her second copy of Present and Past. Her son absconded with the first. She dubbed me "a great writer," which is as good a birthday present as I will ever get. I begin my 68th year in good health, which is a wonderful gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment