Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The Writer's Life 5/30 - Business

Yesterday in his business column in the NY Post, John Crudele labeled the Trump tax cuts disastrous, chiefly because they will balloon the deficit and U.S. debt. Today in an op-ed piece, Stephen Moore lauded them, citing the record revenue coming into government coffers. April is usually the lone month in which there is a surplus. This year's was a record. Moore sounds a cautionary note, lamenting increased spending, which is is especially frustrating given that Republicans are in charge and they're supposed to show fiscal discipline. Both men made convincing arguments. Only the blindly partisan will hope Crudele is right.

A Japanese man paid $29,400 at auction for two prize-winning melons, more than double the previous record for such a purchase. He certainly has some pair. I wonder if he woke the next day feeling "meloncholy." Rimshot. I got the idea for that quip from jokes4us.com. Here's a pic of the pair:


The first customer rating has been posted for my latest novel, Present and Past. Here's what Karen wrote: "My Sicilian mom used to say, 'lay down with dogs, get up with fleas.' This book shows that perfectly, as well as going against your gut-feelings. Enjoyable." The comment is perceptive without giving much away about the story. Kudos, Miss Connoli. Full disclosure - she is my sister's godchild, an avid reader. I believe it's objective. Her fabulous mom, Anna Maria, has been a family friend as long as I can remember... Also in that vein, Marty, NYPD retired, swung by the floating book shop today and said he really enjoyed Killing. I asked the standard question about what I consider to be my best work: Does the climax go too far? He said no. So far only two people, both male, have said it does.

My thanks to the kind folks who bought wares today, and to the couple who pulled their brand new SUV to the curb and hauled out five large plastic bags filled with paperbacks, at least 200, equally divided between mystery and romance. I separated them by author, and plan to leave about a third, the least marketable, in the lobby of our co-op. I dropped off about 40 on my way to the apartment. The gentleman recently bought his wife a Kindle and is in the process of cleaning out his garage so the car will fit. Smart move.






No comments:

Post a Comment