Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 3, 2018

The Writer's Life 5/3 - Rob, Andu & Herbie

The gift that keeps on giving: According to a blurb in today's NY Post, in the first quarter of 2018 American consumers spent $100 billion on the internet.

It was another summer-like day. My thanks to the woman on her way to Manhattan Beach who bought three paperbacks in Russian. Today's session of the floating book shop was enlivened by Rob, a porter in the co-op that occupies the entire stretch of Avenue Z between East 13th & Homecrest Avenue. He showed me a picture his girlfriend sent to his Iphone, her abundant hooters exposed. Thanks to both for sharing. I also had a visit from Romanian-born artist Andu, who was smoking an illegal substance that did not seem pot. He's bi-polar. I've seen him in scary moods before, but they had all been characterized by vulnerability. Today he had an angry edge, an evil look in his eye. Since I was wearing a T-shirt and shorts, my shape was obvious. He insisted that I'd lost weight. When I disagreed - I should have known better - he threw the thin, oversized paperback he was carrying into my chest. It landed flat and didn't hurt. He then asked for a hug and I complied. I feel sorry for him and his mom, who must suffer terribly. He is so talented but so troubled. He's currently broke, so I gave him a book, hoping he would be pacified. Neither of us had known that Stephen King had written a sequel to The ShiningDoctor Sleep, published in 2013, picks up the life of Redrum kid Danny Torrance in his 40s and struggling with the same demons of anger and alcoholism that plagued his father. I gave away as many books as I sold today. Herbie, who has donated many books, asked for a Julie Garwood romance and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire, a retelling of Cinderella from the point of view of one of her stepsisters. In 1995 he published a work that would change his life: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, on which the Broadway musical is based. It lost out on the Tony to Avenue Q, but has gone on to become a worldwide sensation. A film version has faced many obstacles. IMDb lists its release as 2019. 

Here's a pic I took this afternoon. It's on the property where Rob Works:


No comments:

Post a Comment