Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 5, 2017

The Writer's Life 11/5 - Mint

I'm really enjoying how liberals have turned against their own in the Hollywood and political scandals. The only people who didn't know the primary was rigged for Hillary's benefit are the most blindly partisan voters and the mainstream media. Donna Brazile must have been paid a mint to dish such dirt.

With marijuana moving toward legalization, I keep looking for unintended consequences. Here's the first - higher life insurance premiums for users. It's almost inconsequential. Advocates have so far been proven correct by a wide margin as to its negative effects. And it's bringing in a mint in taxes. I don't use it.

When I first began writing in the mid '70's, long walks helped in sorting my thoughts and in inciting ideas. On my daily walk this morning, I recalled an incident from my past that I will add to the novel I plan to self publish in January. It actually occurred and the "mint" comment was actually spoken. I used the guy's real name. I don't think he'd mind. Here's the excerpt:
"One time Sister Grace was drilling us on something and Jimmy Sapporito made a mistake. She whacked him with her pointer and he let out this 'Owwwww!' and rubbed his shoulder. The whole class froze. Nobody'd ever done anything like that. We didn't dare laugh for fear of getting the same treatment."
"I remember 'Sappy' - good kid. He lived around the block. We started smokin' together in the schoolyard. He liked this one brand, sayin': 'They got mint in 'em.'"
Freddie's head flew back in delight. "I love it!"
"I wonder what happened to him."
"I used to see him in a softball league. We could never beat his team. They paid this guy, Jerry Angelero, to pitch for them. A lot of teams did. He made a lot of money. Man, he was good. I never got a hit off him. That's going back ten years. Maybe Jimmy moved to Staten Island or Jersey like most everybody else."

I just saw the Giants' score at Yahoo Sports - 51-7! What a comeuppance for an organization that has won four Super Bowls. Fortunately for the players, they make a mint win or lose.

A prankster had fun at Lincoln Center, putting dye in a fountain. Here's a pic:



I set up shop twice today, once at Bay Parkway, when it immediately began drizzling, and again at my usual nook when one of the two spots closest to the scaffold was available. Unfortunately, no one bought any books, ending the decent run of earnings I enjoyed the past few days. At least the old Hyundai's in prime position until after Thursday's session.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc


No comments:

Post a Comment