Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

The Writer's Life 11/21 - Rats & Stuff

Here's a great pic of people reacting to a rat in a subway car, from today's NY Post:



Liberals are having a horrendous year. Two more of their icons, talk-meister Charlie Rose and Congressman John Conyers, have been outed for sexual harassment. This morning, radio host Mark Simone said he's heard millions have been paid out in secret settlements to silence accusers - and it's probably being paid for with tax dollars. He also offered a hilarious tidbit about the former head of CBS, William Paley, who, when he got old, ordered a round desk to make it easier for him to chase his prey. Next!

Incredibly, the NY Daily News, once one of the most popular newspapers in America, has lost $90.4 million the past three years. I stopped buying it circa 1990, as its left wing bias turned me off. Still, in the most liberal city on the planet, this is shocking news, reported by its chief rival, the Post.

Kudos to the Vikings, who played like prime-time championship contenders and made the Rams look like pretenders. And kudos to perennial backup QB Case Keenum, who has played so well in relief of Sam Bradford... It's hard to believe, but the Cowboys seem done. They deserve the worst for having taken a hard line in Ezekiel Elliot's defense. The Eagles drubbed them in Dallas and, for the moment, look like the class of the NFC... Meanwhile, only the Steelers stand in the way of the Patriots' march to another Super Bowl... Again, an Andy Reid team seems to have flamed out after a great start. Once 5-0, the Chiefs are now 6-4. I don't see how a unit that lost to the reeling Giants can be a real threat to New England, especially in what would be a road playoff game. Kansas City's opening night win in Foxboro seems to matter less each week.

I received my bank statement in yesterday's mail, and it revealed payment from Amazon for the sale of six of my books on Kindle. That brings the grand total to an even one thousand, a goal I set long ago. Actually, that point was passed months back. Wheelman Press has not paid me for the sale of 30-40 copies of Exchanges. I count only books for which I receive payment, although I include those I've let go at a deep discount. At one time I refused to sell for less than ten bucks a pop. I've since decided that if there's a chance the buyer will read the book, it's wise to give it up for cheap. The sale of other books at my sidewalk shop more than makes up for any per-copy loss. The goal now till the day I shuffle off this mortal coil is the next sale. I'll still keep a tally, though.

My thanks to Ira, who bought Amazing True Stories by Don L. Wulffson; and to Janet and Stu, who bought two of the Twilight series and Ann Rice's Pandora; and to the gentleman who selected three Elvis vinyl albums; and to the young man who donated several useful pictorials on exercise and men's health.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment