Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

The Writer's Life 11/1 - All Saints Day

It always weird blogging after an event like a terrorist attack or catastrophic event, but life continues mercilessly, indifferent to humanity's travails. World Series Game Six was played. Kids from coast to coast went trick or treating. People across the nation attended and enjoyed functions. It is the simple bizarreness of existence. The world stops for no one, rich or poor, powerful or powerless.

From Yahoo's Odd News, edited by yours truly: A Florida couple welcomed a baby boy into the world on Halloween. Oskar Gary Frankenstein made his entrance four days late and after 14 hours of labor. Although no one else in the extended family was born on October 31st, Grandma's 13-year-old daughter shares the same birthday as Mary Shelley, the author of Frankenstein. Welcome to the great adventure, little guy.

This morning I tried working on the cover for the novel I intend to self-publish in January, but met frustration. To keep the costs of production at zero, I use Create Space's free templates. I found a perfect image for the book - the masks of comedy and tragedy, but they don't work well with background I selected. The title is too low, and the author's name is too high, each obscuring the image. Each also has a white band around it. I'ts look okay around my name, but lame around the title. I will not be submitting until mid December, so I have plenty of time to explore options. I'm not sure, but I don't think the image, which is gold, will blend well with the other background templates, although there are many. I will use what I have now if I'm not satisfied with other options. I don't think there are programs that would allow me to alter it myself. Here it is again: 



My thanks to the kind folks who bought books in Russian, and to the gentleman who bought Patricia Cornwell's From Potter's Field, and to Ira, who bought My Name Is Barbra, one of the many bios on Streisand. Thanks also to the sweet elderly woman who donated two hardcovers in Russian. The session was characterized by lengthy visits from acquaintances. Mountain Man went into his typical spiel, dubbing politics "Legalized Corruption," with which I think most people would agree. He also suspects aspects of the Las Vegas shooting are being suppressed. And he warned me to be on guard against the Antifa slimes, who are planning disruptions very soon... I discovered that Abbot, who lives three floors above me, also worked for many years in Lower Manhattan. We discussed the establishments in the area, including the topless bar, the Pussycat Lounge, which I never entered - I swear it!... Ol' Smoky showed, and it was good to see him in a jovial mood. Something got him talking about Popes. He said the one who makes the best coffee ascends to the throne. How he came to that conclusion, I haven't the foggiest idea. Before he left, he pointed out something I hadn't realized - it's All Saints Day, or Tutti Santi, as my mom called it, the thought of which warmed my innards. Memories like that comprise a large part of Present and Past.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment