Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 25, 2017

The Writer's Life 11/25 - Head Games & More

The Drowning is a rare film that reveals clues but leaves it to the viewer to figure out what's what. I watched it last night courtesy of Netflix. Based on the novel by Pat Barker, set in New England, it is the story of a child psychologist who, ten years earlier, made a decision that sent an eleven-year-old murderer to a home for wayward children. Released, the now young man insinuates himself into the doctor's life. Is he a bad seed up to no good? It would be hard to classify the movie as a thriller, at least when compared to flicks that explode into thrills and violence. It features a psychological battle, which is why I found it more interesting than most viewers have. 1300+ users at IMDb rate it only 4.4 on a scale of ten. Is it a good film? I'm not sure. There is a lot to piece together, much unexplained. Avan Jogia is excellent as the young man. Only 25, he has compiled an impressive list of credits, mostly in TV, that includes writing and directing. Josh Charles plays the doctor. He starred in 108 episodes of The Good Wife, of which he directed three. Again Julia Stiles is in a role that does not challenge her impressive skills, that of the wife, a talented artist frequently away at gallery showings in NYC. This was Bette Gordon's fifth stint at the helm of a full length feature, none of which has been a breakout effort. On the faculty of the Columbia School of Arts, she has also done TV and shorts. Stephen Molton and Frank Pugliese adapted the screenplay. The film's appeal is probably restricted to those who read the book, and those who enjoy psychological head games. It runs only 95 minutes, a plus. I thought the ending made perfect sense. An online reviewer dubbed it "illogical." Those who prefer thrills and blood splatter should pass. Kudos to cast and crew for daring to be different. Here's a still, Josh Charles back to the camera:



How does a day of zero sales turn into a winner? When I spotted Mayor Mike, local Super, strolling toward me, I reached into my pocket and extracted an envelope that contained $85, the proceeds from the sale of the Elvis plus one Johnny Cash albums on vinyl he asked me to hawk. This was on top of the $25 I'd given him last week. Elated, he offered me a cut. I refused and asked if anyone who had moved away from his huge building had left behind a digital TV. He returned with a 24 inch Samsung Smart TV in a box that had been opened. I just looked up how much it goes for and found one listed at $197, another at $177. I've yet to take it out of the box. I'll look at the user's manual to see if it can be used strictly as a TV without connecting to the internet. That would enable me to dump my cable TV subscription, and enjoy a picture that isn't constantly breaking up. If I can't use it that way, I will either offer it for sale or save it for the day my laptop stops working. After he delivered the TV, Mike brought more vinyl - several more Elvis albums, four by Dean Martin, four by Peter, Paul and Mary, and compilations by Neil Diamond, Paul Anka, Brook Benton and others. My thanks, Miguelito, and also to Mr. Conspiracy, who donated eight works of non-fiction. As a thank you I offered him the Best of Pete Seeger, one of his fellow traveler's.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment