Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Writer's Life 11/14 - Coming Clean

Radio talk show host Mark Simone made an interesting comment this morning. He is not a fan of Roy Moore, but pointed out that Jerry Seinfeld dated a 17-year-old while in his 30's. I must come clean. At the age of 41 I took an 18-year-old beauty to the movies. Dick Tracy (1991) was playing. Choose to believe whatever you wish, but nothing further came of it. There was no reluctance on her part. It was all me. As I am wont to do, I talked myself out of taking things any further - and it made me miserable, penance enough. When it comes to the fairer sex, it's not easy being me. For some guys...



So the UCLA basketball trio that stole sunglasses from a Chinese department store is on its way home. It will be interesting to see what the punishment will be. I wouldn't expel them - kids do stupid things - but they should each be sidelined for at least ten games, if not 20. I wonder if any of them, if not expelled, will stay in school beyond freshman year. LiAngelo Ball probably won't. His older brother, Lonzo, spent only one year on campus before being the second overall pick in the 2017 draft. If President Trump managed to free the trio, I wonder how it will be spun by the mainstream media. If he did have something to do with it, it will be surprising if he doesn't send out a tweet bragging about it. When I first heard about the incident, I was reminded of one from my youth. I stole a football that had been left on the large lawn outside Garneau Hall. It belonged to the dorm, available at the desk for check out. Someone gazing out a window saw me take it. I denied it, and was never busted. In fact, despite the theft, a year later I was selected as a Resident Advisor, which paid for my room and board. Apparently, the incident had been forgotten or forgiven. Looking back, I don't understand why people liked me. I wasn't a good person and I was so overwhelmed by life I wasn't much fun to be around. Anyway, I brought the ball back to Brooklyn. My mom noticed the markings on it and knew I'd stolen it. I was ashamed. Soon, it was stolen from me. I suspected Steve Oliva, who denied it.

My thanks to Marty, NYPD retired, who bought two Elvis vinyl records. His daughter, with whom he is having difficulties, is a big fan of the King. He intends to extend an olive branch in the form of music. My thanks also to the gentleman who purchased Dennis Lehane's Live by Night. During the session, a retired Super offered to sell me a box of books for $20, assuring me I would earn three times as much in profit. I had no doubt that I would, but I turned him down, as I have similar offers. I have more than enough inventory at present, and others will likely add to it at no cost.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment