Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 19, 2017

The Writer's Life 11/19 - Thunderstruck

Oddly, President Trump has not yet ballyhooed what may be a major accomplishment. According to an op-ed piece by Salena Zito in today's NY Post, on his recent overseas trip the President brokered a deal with China, which will invest $83 billion in petro-chemical projects in West Virginia. It has not yet been approved by the state's government.

RIP Malcolm Young, 64, founding member and driving force behind Australia's AC/DC, one of the most successful heavy metal bands of all-time, selling 200 million albums worldwide, 71 million in the USA alone. As rhythm guitarist, his profile was lower than that of his younger brother, Angus, who plays lead and skips along the stage as he works. He co-wrote the songs and did backing vocals. He retired a couple of years ago when diagnosed with dementia. Despite this, he gave the band his blessing to rock on. I've always respected its unpretentious approach to the genre. Well done, sir. Thank you. Here's a clip of the group rocking Munich: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3cCOFBOh8I 



This morning I found a wallet in the street during my morning walk in the rain. It must have fallen from the owner's pocket as he/she exited a car. Since it was about 6:30 AM, I decided to take it with me. A block or so later it occurred to me to look for an I.D. - duh! Naturally, there wasn't one. Why should things be easy? At home I extracted the contents, a bunch of credit-like cards used at entertainment venues, an expired Metrocard, a business card for a computer fix-it shop, and seven twenties, which were soaked. They have now dried out. I will leave a couple of notices on the block in question. I don't want to divulge my phone number or email address, so I will leave the location of my regular book nook and hours of operation. Problem is, if I don't get a favorable parking spot, I will go elsewhere. I wish I'd left it there. Why return it at all? I want to be a good person from here on out.

Given the dire forecast of high winds, I was lucky to have gotten in a session of the floating book shop today. In fact, there was only a benign breeze in front of the Chase bank, and it wasn't at all cold. My thanks to the man and woman who each bought a book in Russian. Two one dollar bills blew my way as I was waiting for customers.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment