Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Writer's Life 6/11 - Manspreading

RIP Adam West, 88, who for many is the definitive Batman. He worked seven years as an actor, mostly in guest appearances on TV westerns, before landing the iconic role. There are 193 titles listed under his name at IMDb, many of them related to the Caped Crusader. He did 120 episodes of the series, and also lent his voice to 111 episodes of the animated Family Guy. He was an actor who had the rare privilege of working in old age. He had a degree from Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington, where he majored in Literature and minored in Psychology. His autobiography was titled Back to the Batcave. In my opinion, no one comes close to Christian Bale's interpretation of the Dark Knight, but there's no denying that Adam West was loved by fans of Bob Kane's creation. Here's a quote attributed to him: "When fans ask me for advice, here's what I tell them: 'Remain an optimist.'" Well done, sir.



I came upon an unfamiliar term in a blurb in today's NY Post: "manspreading" - the practice whereby a man, especially one traveling on public transportation, adopts a sitting position with his legs wide apart, in such a way as to encroach on an adjacent seat or seats. It has been banned in Madrid. I remember a co-worker who smirked at the attractive woman seated beside him on a subway train, who asked him to close his legs. Fortunately, nothing came of it. That was way back in the mid '80's. I guess it has become so common in this world of diminishing civility that people are fed up with it.

Since the Puerto Rican day parade was taking place today, I thought it would be a good idea to showcase a work on the history of the island at the floating book shop. My thanks to Monsey, who bought it. I knew she was Latina, but I didn't recall if she'd ever revealed where her ancestors had lived. My thanks also to Johnny, who bought thrillers by Lawrence Block and Robin Cook, to the gentleman who bought two self-help books, and to the woman who bought a book on English idioms. I set up shop under a large tree. An occasional breeze took a lot of the bite out of the heat. The next two days are supposed to be brutal. Fortunately, I lucked into a favorable parking space. I'll have to lug the crates only 30 yards to the point under the scaffold where I've been putting the display. I'm not expecting much business, but I'll be nagged by a feeling of what might have been if I stay home. The endeavor often yields unpredictable results.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment