Total Pageviews

Friday, March 29, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/29 - Good Friday

Well, I managed to sleep until five AM this morning before my literary subconscious woke me. I quickly did the daily exercises for my back, chowed down on Honey Nut Cherrios, and went to work cleaning the file of Exchanges, which the publisher of WheelMan press was gracious enough to send me. I did about half and had to tear myself away from my desk for my morning walk. So obsessed was I with finishing the chore that I gave the guy at the newsstand a five dollar bill and hurried away without my change. I was about to sit down at my PC when I realized what I'd done. As I made my way back, I resolved not to raise a stink if the guy didn't return the money. I just wouldn't buy the paper there any more, as I stopped doing next door when that guy tried to short change me and other customers. He has since been replaced. Well, the guy in question had the four bucks set aside, waiting for me. I thanked him, explaining that my mind was preoccupied. Anyway, I completed the task and emailed the file back to the publisher. Now my worry is whether some of the corrections will again be skewed by the conversion from my program, Microsoft Works, to Word. For some reason errors occur, especially in spacing. Maybe now it will be clean enough to go to print.

There is a choice tidbit in the NY Post today: Alex Rodriguez will earn more in 2013, 29 million, than the entire Astros team, 25 million. And Arod will miss at least half the season. What a country!

And there is more fun in the editorial section. Our nanny, Mayor Bloomberg, is proposing a law to end the discounting of certain brands of cigarettes so that all will be sold at the same price, which he believes will force many smokers to quit. The editors ask why the same logic isn't used in the minimum wage issue. Many economists believe raising the wage to nine dollars an hour will be a job killer. Of course, the city council, ever pandering, pooh-poohs this.

I finally learned the name of the guy who lives in the apartment next door, which he shares with his 20-something son. Serge and I have been greeting each other for years. He asked me to recommend a book. I couldn't resist handing him the huge hard cover edition of Tom Wolfe's The Bonfire of the Vanities. He recognized the title from a DVD in his collection, and bought it. That kick-started a much better than average day of sales. Mrs. Eclectic finally showed and apologized for having had me sit on the last of my stock of the culinary mysteries show loves. She bought eight novels, including one issued by Scholastic for her daughter. Then I got even luckier. I was about to close shop when a lively elderly woman who has purchased books in the past approached and asked my advice on apartment hunting. Hers was flooded during Hurricane Sandy, and she has been living with a friend as her landlord dawdles in his repair work. She wants to draft a letter to protect herself in breaking the lease. I suppressed a chuckle as she had trouble pronouncing "uninhabitable." I wrote it down on a piece of paper. Anyway, while we were speaking, a gentleman noticed the medical textbooks I had on display and jumped on them when I told him the price. I must have sold 20 pounds worth of books today. Thanks, folks.
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment