Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/21 - Concerns

I love the Bourne films, despite my dislike of Matt Damon’s ultra-liberal politics. I caught up to the most recent, The Bourne Legacy (2012), the other night, courtesy of Netflix. I enjoyed it as much as any of the others, although only Damon’s photograph appears in this version. Jeremy Renner, whose politics I know nothing about and hope I never know, takes over the lead, playing another agent in the program, of which the CIA wants to eliminate all traces, including civilians. Conservative pundits have labeled the films anti-American. I look at them as popcorn entertainment with little relationship to the real world. Only partisans would dissect such fare in search of meaning. I doubt the viewing of  it would create converts to either side of the political divide. The previous entry premiered in 2007, when George Bush was still president, which makes me question Damon’s reason for not continuing in the role now that a leader he prefers is in the White House. That is a consequence of activism. I’ve always enjoyed Bruce Springsteen’s music, but these days it has been tainted for me by his ardent support of President Obama. I know that isn’t a good thing, but it’s undeniable. Anyway, the film features the slam-bang action sequences that characterized the others, culminating in a breathtaking chase through the streets of Manila, beginning on foot and continuing on motorcycles and in cars. Is this entry better or worse than the others? I’m not sure. They’re now all a blur except for an image here and there. I know only that I enjoyed each. The film was directed by Tony Gilroy, who wrote the screenplay for each version. Will there be a fifth? It earned 276 million worldwide on a budget estimated at 125 million. It is rated 6.7 out of ten at IMDb. I agree, rating it 3.25 out of five.

I have three safety concerns while operating the floating book shop: an out of control vehicle, a thug who may get ideas at the sight of an exchange of cash, and mental defectives. The third was in play today. As I was lugging the crates from my trunk to my usual nook, a guy who seemed in his early thirties, in shabby clothes, started looking through the books. I didn't say a word to him as I laid my non-fiction out along the ledge of the garden that surrounds the apartment building. He was fixated on a pictorial about Japan's recent earthquake and tsunami. When I was fully set up, I pulled it from his grasp, and he went on his way. A couple of hours later, while I was seated in my car, out of the cold, he returned. This time he picked up a novel by January Valentine, my literary angel. As he was leafing through it, droplets started to fall onto the page. Yuck. I assumed his nose was running. I soon realized that his wool cap, which was beneath a hood, was soaking wet. I was pissed and unsure what to do. I was tempted to punch him in the face, but the man is obviously sick. And what if he were carrying a knife? I chose to hope he would soon grow bored and leave. No such luck. He was halfway through the book, apparently spotting pages deliberately with water, before I summoned the resolve to speak: "You're ruining my book, man. That's not right." I took it from him and again he went on his way. Soon, as snow flurries intensified, I decided to close shop. As I was hauling the crates to my open trunk, the guy returned and circled the car. I was certain he was going to steal a book and make a run for it. I didn't care, as long as it wasn't one of mine or January's. Fortunately, he left empty handed. I hope he isn't going to take up permanent residence in the neighborhood.

My thanks to the middle age woman who purchased Frank McCourt's memoir of his days in the NYC public school system, Teacher Man, my only sale of the past three days. I hope it's not indicative of the overall state of the economy. It's happened before, so likely it's not. Several of my regulars are MIA. Mrs. Eclectic's husband said she doesn't like to venture out into the cold. Maybe it's just the weather. It's been either rain or snow, or high wind on sunny days. Conditions have not been easy for more than a week. Strong gusts are forecast for tomorrow. Enough already.
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment