Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/2 - Tube

Yesterday morning while eating my early, pre-book-shop lunch, I was listening to radio talk show host Mark Simone on WOR-AM. What I like most about his show is that it has more variety than others. Political issues are important, but they are often infuriating, especially the way the media hammers away on the hottest topic, beating it to death. Simone frequently veers from that. He was wondering about the enormous popularity of certain videos at youtube, especially the Gangnam Style craze and the Harlem Shuffle, which a group actually did or tried to do on a commercial airplane the other day, an idea that doesn't sound very sensible (think Kramer in the penultimate episode of Seinfeld). Anyway, Simone played a song that accompanies a YT clip and asked why it hasn’t received the millions of hits the aforementioned do. Of course, I had to take a look. It’s an ode to the beautiful female reporters and hosts at Fox News, in country boy style by Austin Cunningham. It will warm the hearts of what used to be called Male Chauvinist Pigs, like yours truly. Here’s the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNj0T4uK3lE

Last night I took a second look at a film that will probably be unfamiliar to anyone who doesn't venture outside those shot in English. I was enthralled during my first viewing of The Horseman on the Roof (1995), adapted from the novel by Jean Giono. It is the story of a young revolutionary who flees to France to avoid the death sentence imposed by the Austrians who have seized a part of Italy. He must not only contend with his pursuers but an epidemic of cholera and local populaces gone mad with fear. It is an old-fashion epic, the kind rarely seen these days, featuring beautiful cinematography, romance, and minimal bloodshed, despite considerable action. It stars Juliet Binoche (The English Patient 1996) and Olivier Martinez (Unfaithful 2002). I refused to see the latter because I did not want to see Diane Lane, one of my favorites, have an affair. Horseman deviates from the old fashion in only one instance. In an effort to save the woman's life, the hero strips her and gives her a furious rubdown. Of course, this means Binoche must be naked. I would have shot the scene from a distance. Here's why: instead of being engrossed in the life-saving effort, I was thinking - Wow, nice tits; you lucky stiff - pun intended. I've had this argument several times with friends. I don't think I've ever seen a nude scene that was necessary. I find them only distracting. I've been called prudish. I'm not, as a look at my Web History would prove. Anyway, I was a little less enthusiastic about the film this time. I rate it 3.75 out of five. It's rated 6.9 at IMDb. It received two thumbs up from Sneak Previews. It was directed by Jean Paul Rappeneau, whose other films I've not seen. He's been around a long time. He was the screenwriter for That Man in Rio (1964), a spy spoof that was a big international hit.

The floating book shop had good fortune today, despite the on again, off again snow flurries that had me pack up early. My thanks to the couple that bought three thrillers and one romance novel.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3


No comments:

Post a Comment