Total Pageviews

Monday, March 18, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/18 - Frustration

There is frustration in every walk of life. Most of the time it's shrugged off. Once in a while it's really annoying. I'm at that point right now. It's been about six weeks since I last heard from the publisher of WheelMan Press. My fourth novel, fifth book, was close to being issued. I haven't contacted him, knowing how time-consuming the literary life is. Why do something that might annoy him to the point where he would drop the book? It isn't easy to get any book published, let alone one as off-beat as Exchanges. I've been speculating about the causes of the delay. Maybe he's seen the light and decided to close shop. Maybe he's ill or worse. The last book he published was on February 24th, a novel on Kindle. Usually, the print version follows a few days later. Maybe he's lost his day job and run out of money. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the book isn't published. I have four others to promote and sell. I've been stockpiling cash in my Paypal account in order to buy copies of the new novel. I could always save that to buy copies of the others when needed. Since I only have two copies of Close to the Edge, I haven't brought it out, as I want to have all five books on display at once. I'll sit on it until Exchanges is issued or I'm told it will not be. It wouldn't be as cool as having five books out there, but it would still be cool.

At seven I will head to the wake of my old friend Anthony, aka Weegee. One good thing about it, I'm expecting to see people I haven't seen in decades, weather permitting. Some will be driving from Jersey and Staten Island and may pass once the snow starts falling. What do I do if people ask about my books? Do I say I have copies in the car? It wouldn't be appropriate, would it? Then again, the likelihood of people following up and buying on the web is remote. That's happened so many times. Sometimes life has a special way of mocking an individual.

And now for the most frustrating aspect of all -- the weather. If I hadn't bagged the most favorable parking spot yesterday, I wouldn't have been able to operate the floating book shop today. Spring is taking its sweet time arriving. The constant cold wind and the dearth of sunshine are wearing me out. I was so relieved when Lev pulled his van into a spot across the street, paid the meter and approached. I knew he would buy Jerusalem: The Biography by Simon Sebag Montefiore. He also bought Dean Koontz's Breathless. He finds the author an easy read, which he prefers, since English isn't his first language. As usual, he overpaid. Also proving that it is best to be out there despite the weather, Justin, a local porter, donated five books, two on the English language, and three huge medical-related texts. I also got a chance to repay a little of the debt I owe Marie, who has donated so many CDs and VHS tapes, by giving her a copy of a book on spirituality, a subject she loves. Thanks, folks, and also to the gentleman who bought the two science-related books on Bay Parkway yesterday, when I was too bummed to blog.
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment