Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/10 - Oddities

THIS-TV, channel 111 on Cablevision in NYC, broadcasts movies, many of which seem the straight to video variety. I check in frequently while surfing. Last night it offered something with which I was completely unfamiliar: Mad Dog Time, aka Trigger Happy (1996). Here is it’s unbelievable cast: Ellen Barkin, Gabriel Byrne, Richard Dreyfuss, Jeff Goldblum (the star), Diane Lane (last ten minutes), Burt Reynolds (almost unrecognizable), Larry Bishop, Joey Bishop (final appearance as Gottlieb, his real last name), Kyle MacLachlan, Angie Everhart (absolutely smokin'), Henry Silva (began career as perennial villain in 1950), Michael J. Pollard (C.W. Moss in Bonnie and Clyde, 1967), Gregory Hines, Billy Idol (yes, the rock star), Billy Drago (familiar creepy villain), Paul Anka, Richard Pryor (in wheel chair), Rob Reiner, Christopher Jones (26 years since his last appearance, Ryan‘s Daughter, 1970). The movie completely flopped at the box office, probably because it is so odd. It is essentially a gangster film with a high body count, although I could see where it might be interpreted as entirely fanciful, despite being not quite surreal, a session between an insane mob boss and his analyst, although it is never hinted at being such. Gabrielle Byrne stole every scene in which he appeared, often spouting silly rhymes. As Paul Anka is serenading the boss with My Way, Byrne is on stage accompanying and offering bizarre asides. I would not even attempt to rate such a picture, but one thing I will say: I was never bored. I wouldn’t be surprised if it became a cult classic. It was directed by Larry Bishop, Joey’s son, who has only one other credit at the helm, Hell Ride (2008), a biker flick. He has 34 acting credits listed at IMDb, where the film is rated 5.1 of ten. Here’s a photo of Miss Everhart: 
Now that stocks have made an all-time high, I'm wondering if I should sell some of mine. Although unemployment dipped to 7.7, I'm still leery of the fact that there are millions less in the work force than in the recent past and a record number of people on food stamps, the latter probably being government foolishness rather than actual citizens in need. It looks like the FED will keep interest rates low, which is terrible for bank accounts but drives investors to put their money where there will be a decent return. Most of my stocks pay a dividend. The two I'd most like to dump are Citi and AIG, which were slammed shortly after I acquired them. I lost respect for each after the bailouts. Decisions, decisions.

The book sales pattern held on Bay Parkway & 85th: good business Saturday, almost nothing Sunday. My thanks to the young woman who purchased John Gray's Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus.
Visit Vic's sites:
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment