Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 3/24 - Glimmers

When the film Compliance (2012) arrived from Netflix, I assumed it would be about the financial world, as there is a department under that title at the Commodity Exchange in Manhattan, where I worked for almost 25 years. To my surprise, it is an engrossing thriller set in a fictional fast food restaurant. Although the story line strains credulity halfway through, I was still interested for its entire 90-minute running time. Kudos to director/screenwriter Craig Zobel, who proves a good movie can be made on a miniscule budget. The extras feature an interview of him, in which he states the events are based on actual incidents and influenced by tests psychologists have conducted. Despite these claims, I didn’t believe the characters would be quite so gullible, at least within the parameters of this particular story, despite stress, the possibility of job loss, and the consumption of a few beers. The only other tact would have been turning the tables on the villain, without him knowing it, from the midpoint. The casting is first-rate. I recognized Ann Dowd, who plays the manager, from numerous appearances on TV, especially the Law & Order incarnations. She has the look of many of the supervisory employees I’ve seen in such establishments. Dreama Walker, the young cashier, is perfect in her role. She'd fit right in behind the counter of the McDonalds that serves me every Saturday. The film is rated 6.5 on a scale of ten at IMDb. I rate it three of five. I looked forward to Zobel’s future work.

Well, I finally broke down, gave in. After not hearing for six weeks from WheelHouse Press, which is to publish my fifth book, fourth novel, Exchanges, I sent an email asking what was what. I should be getting a file for final approval within ten days. I hope it doesn’t turn into another marathon of waiting.

I’m glad I didn’t fill out a bracket for the NCAA tournament this year. I would have had Gonzaga advancing to the Final Four. 

I had my first above-average session of the floating book shop in a while. Maryann bought four sci-fi paperbacks and a nice lady purchased a Bible as soon as I'd set up. Later, I got real lucky when a guy who had double-parked came out of the bank and said to his girlfriend in the passenger seat, pointing in my direction: "Books." She bought the copy of Sweet Dreams that a mental defective dampened a few days ago. I reduced the price to five bucks. I don't think the author, my literary angel January Valentine, will mind. She once said to give it away free to anyone who wanted it. The Sicilian in me will not allow that. Thanks, folks.
Vic's Third Novel (Print or Kindle): http://tinyurl.com/7e9jty3
Vic's Website: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/
Vic's Short Story Collection (Print or Kindle): http://www.tiny.cc/Oycgb
Vic's 2nd Novel: http://tinyurl.com/6b86st6
Vic's 1st Novel: http://tiny.cc/94t5h
Vic's Screenplay on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/cyckn3

No comments:

Post a Comment