Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/29

There was encouraging news out of Canada today. The people of Ontario have taken a stand against the scourge of Sharia law, convicting a father, mother and their 21-year-old son of murder in the honor killings of three teenage daughters and a 50-year-old woman, the man's first wife in the polygamous marriage, who was said to have encouraged the girls. In wire taps, the father is heard referring to the girls as whores, as they were adopting western values. Hopefully, all those who demand Sharia law will move back to a country that allows it. It has no place in the west. I'm glad to see the people of Ontario take the words of their national anthem seriously. I remember New York Ranger telecasts of games at the old Montreal Forum. Before the puck was dropped, Roger Doucet would sing a rousing rendition, the first part in French, the last few lines in English:
"God keep our land glorious and free.
Oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee."
Way to go, Ontario! Given the pluck Canadians have shown in this instance and in the production of oil, Americans should think twice of lampooning our neighbors to the north.
I visited Joanne's almost empty apartment just before noon. I made three trips up and down the stairs, hauling books. I could have taken more, but I decided to limit the donation, which had to be more than 100, an equal mix of hard and soft cover. There's only so much I can keep in the trunk. As it was, I had three large plastic bags worth and my laundry to carry up to my apartment. It's unwise to keep anything of value visible in a car these days, as thieves will break windows to get at loose change.
The books provided an immediate dividend, as people couldn't help noticing what I had on display. Of the 20 or so I sold this afternoon, half were among the latest batch. I also sold the entire set of the Twilight series, which was in pristine condition. The woman ran home to get money and was back in a flash. I also sold the last of the crime novels in Russian. Thanks, folks.
I've already gone through 48 of the 206 pages of the Killing file. I'll do more later. I should be done by Tuesday or Wednesday, but I won't send it back to Victoria unless she is ready. The last weeks before a book is issued are nerve-wracking.
Now playing on the Martini in the Morning stream: Louis Prima and Keely Smith's killer take on The Sheik of Araby. I wonder if the Sheik believed in Sharia law.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature

No comments:

Post a Comment