Total Pageviews

Monday, January 9, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/9

I had a big chunk of dough sitting on the sidelines in my IRA that I wasn't sure how to grow. I just pulled the trigger, selecting a mutual fund that concentrates on dividend paying stocks, the strategy being that even if the fund loses value, the loss is decreased or negated by the the yields. I bought it despite my pessimism. If the government continues its current spending and regulatory insanity, I expect economic growth to be anemic. I think the market has been kidding itself. And I'm not sure how America will be affected once Europe accepts the reality of its dire situation and begins to take real measures to address it.
I was on the computer while the Broncos were playing the Steelers yesterday. I visited Yahoo Sports and punched up the real-time game updates and saw the teams were headed to overtime. I went to fix myself a bowl of Progresso Chicken Barley soup. While it was heating, I took a peek at the machine and saw that Tim Tebow had thrown an 80-yard touchdown pass on the first play, sending Pittsburgh to a sudden death. I laughed out loud, both delighted for this great kid and for the fact that the victory would tork off Christian bashers. How much fun would it be if the Broncos went all the way to the Super Bowl? Imagine the whining! Alas, that is highly unlikely. The only bad thing about Denver's win is that it makes the Patriots path a little easier. If New England meets Green Bay in the championship game, the over-under might be 70 or higher.
Last year at this time, there was two feet of snow on the ground. I'm loving this warmer trend and hope it continues all winter, even though it isn't translating to many sales for the floating bookshop. I thank the Merry Mailwoman, who requested anything by Janet Evanovich, and received today courtesy of Joanne's latest donation.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment