Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/14

Isn't it great when a plan works out? It was a cold, gloomy day in Brooklyn. I knew it would be less than an hour before I started shivering while operating the floating bookshop. I decided to give it a go at Bay Parkway for two reasons: I hadn't seen Jack, employee of Chase, for almost a month; and I hoped Joanne would have another book donation for me. I wondered if I were crazy when I rolled up and waited for a parking space to open up, as there were flurries in the air. And when I got to the front of the bank I saw no brown cigarette butts, evidence that Jack is on the job and has taken smoke breaks. A half hour went by and I was thinking about leaving, when he suddenly emerged. He didn't light up. I hope his New Year's resolution was to quit smoking. He bought a lucky 13 hard cover mysteries, most by James Patterson. A few minutes later, a lovely Russian woman approached pushing her toddler grandson in a stroller. She usually buys pictorial books for him. Today she treated herself to four novels in her native tongue. Then Joanne appeared, on her way back from shopping on 86th Street. I packed up and met her in front of the house she lives in, which is being sold by the landlord. She will be moving February 1st. She still has a lot of books to unload.
Thanks, folks.
I received the following from Ron, the talented banjo-playing husband of my niece Sandra. He calls it musician's humor:
 Craigslist Ad: We are a small & casual restaurant in downtown Vancouver and we are looking for solo musicians to play in our restaurant to promote their work and sell their CD. This is not a daily job, but only for special  events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get positive response. More Jazz, Rock, & smooth type music, around the world and mixed cultural music. Are you interested to promote your work? Please reply ASAP.
 Reply: Happy new year! I am a musician with a big house looking for a restaurateur to promote their restaurant and come to my house to make dinner for my friends and me. This is not a daily job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get positive response.
More fine dining & exotic meals and mixed Ethnic Fusion cuisine. Are you interested to promote your restaurant? Please reply back ASAP.
Read Vic's stories, free: 
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment