Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/10

I've watched Disc One of the 1987 TV series Tour of Duty, which was created in the hope of capturing the same audience that flocked to theaters to see Oliver Stone's harrowing Platoon (1986). Although I enjoyed the five episodes, I will not rent the remaining 53. The arguments and situations don't seem fresh, and I don't want to watch just to see which characters are killed in action. Since this was such a small sample, I won't rate it. Next up, and I'm really curious about it: Man with a Camera (1958), starring Charles Bronson in what may have been his only attempt at TV series. Fortunately, it didn't last long and he went on to a great career in film. I love Netflix!
I had to make another airport run today (seven down, one to go), so the floating bookshop was open only an hour and change. Sure enough, I made more money than I had the previous two sessions. An old lady who loves sci-fi noticed the copy of Betty Smith's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and pounced on it, dubbing it a classic. I read it when I was 15 or so and loved it, which, in retrospect, is surprising, as my taste back then was for Batman and Superman comics. A woman who got off the bus at the same time purchased a thriller. The old Muslim gentleman who prefers spiritual works bought The Life of Christ and The Book of John, which analyzes that particular gospel. Of course, knowing a soft touch when he sees one, he talked me into a two-for-one. Simultaneously, a Latina asked about the Gideon Bible I had on display. I gave her a discount. Earlier, a 60-ish gentleman, who wishes me well each time he passes, crossed Avenue Z cradling a bunch of books. Someone had left a box of them on East 13th, almost directly across from the entrance to our building. He handed me the books and told me to check it out. Since I had to take Tanina and her family to the airport, I resisted the temptation. To my surprise, the box was still out there when I returned - and what a bounty it provided: the first four books of the Twilight series in pristine condition, and about seven Stephen King novels, both hard and soft cover. I don't know how anyone could have passed them up. There was more, but I didn't go back, as I already felt like a glutton. I'll check again when I go for my morning walk.
Ciao, little Lorenzo. Bon viaggio.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment