Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 1/11

I almost lost it today when Politcal Man visited the floating bookshop. I'm used to his anti-Republican, anti-evangelical rants and sometimes find them amusing. I became an Independent because many Republicans are liberals. I once took a test of political views online, and it identified me as a Libertarian who leans way right. What got me this time is that I learned that PM uses food stamps - while spending $500 a month on pot. So, in effect, the government is subsidizing his use of ganja, as I'd once joked he'd wanted. And he has the gall to excoriate those who wish to end the gravy train. He actually opened his shopping bag to show me the supply he'd just bought.
Kodak moments seem to be coming to an end, a victim of the creative destruction of capitalism, which has seen digital photography win out in the marketplace. Of course, there is sadness in seeing a 100 year old company go under, but let's not forget that Kodak won out over less efficient methods a century ago. I took the cover photo for Killing with a digital camera, and my buddy Bags uploaded it to his PC and created the cover using Powerpoint. It's called progress.
When Grandma passed by hoping I had Russian books, I had to tell her "Nyet." She chuckled and went on her way. She just missed out, as an elderly couple soon donated a bunch of what the woman charmingly described as "dee-tech-teeve" novels. It reminded me of the way my sister, who was about 18 when she came to America, still pronounces some words(fin-ish-ed), which always makes me smile. Thanks, folks, and also to the kind ladies who purchased children's books, and to Abdul the Friendly Porter, who donated a couple, and to the 84-year-old veteran, who left books at the gyro stand with Ali Baba, who handed them off to the Merry Mailwoman, who brought them to me. I guess that's networking.
Read Vic's stories, free:
http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment