Total Pageviews

Friday, October 28, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 10/28

Two weeks ago a beautiful young woman who lives a floor below me asked if I wanted books, as she was moving to London. She donated a bunch, and some DVDs, most of them dedicated to achieving financial success. I waited a week to display any at the floating bookshop, wanting to make sure she was serious about such a life altering move. I saw her the other day. For some reason she was deported immediately. Her name is Svetlana, but she has adopted a business persona, Vivian. I didn't ask why she was deported, but I did ask if she wanted her things back. I'd only sold two. She said no. I learned she and her boyfriend own a house in San Diego, so I guess her persona is a lot smarter than a writer's. I don't know why, but my instincts suspect she is fantasizing. I tell myself it has nothing to do with her spinal ailment, which causes a pronounced limp, but I wonder. Anyway, today I put out three more of her books: How I Retired at 26, Chicken Soup for the Soul, and How Successful People Think, and sold all of them, despite the cold. Fortunately, the brilliant sunshine took some of the edge off the icy wind. Thanks, folks.
Speaking of finances, I had a little luck in the stock market. I went on a buying spree late in 2008, thinking the worst was past. It was only half past. Intel was one of the those stocks. It finally climbed to the plus side. I made $600 on 400, which summarizes my trading career in a nutshell - small gains. I'm in positive territory on only one other of those stocks, Verizon. I placed an order to sell my 300 at 38, which should net me a grand, on top of the $500 I earned when they acquired Frontier. I'm embarrassed to name the other stocks in that parlay: Citibank, Bank of America, AIG and General Electric, which has become a government subsidiary under Jeffery Imelt, who is closing factories here and opening others in China. I'd bought shares in the 90's when the legendary Jack Welsh ruled the roost. I was a proud owner then. I'm ashamed now. I should sell, take my handsome profit on the first batch and bite the bullet on the second.
I recently received a Halloween e-card from Lorraine, a Bay 37th alumnus. Here's the link. Hope it works:
http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/product/preview/flash/bws8Shell.swf?ihost=http://ak.imgag.com/imgag&brandldrPath=/product/full/el/&cardNum=/product/full/ap/3125133/graphic1

No comments:

Post a Comment