Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 10/6

RIP Steve Jobs, just 56. His wonderful innovations made the world a better place. Despite his enormous wealth, the miracle of modern medical science was unable to save him. It reminds everyone of the fragile nature of life and shows why every breath should be appreciated and every day celebrated. Thank you, sir.
Late yesterday afternoon the 84-year-old veteran donated several more books, among them two by the American Bible Society: Mysteries of the Bible and The Life of Jesus, the latter of which I sold today to a woman of color. I also learned more about the gentleman. I figured he was in the Korean War. Not so, he entered WWII as an 18-year-old in 1945 and was stationed in Paris, out of which the Nazis had been driven by then. I fought the temptation to ask if he'd seen any action. He found the City of Light beautiful, despite the ravages of war. To my surprise, he said the women claimed they were treated better by the Germans than Americans. He was an exception to the rule. He would take a girl to the movies and hold hands, in the dark as to most of the dialogue. Thank you, sir.
I can't explain it, but people have been buying more books since last Friday. Dawn, a poet, and Brent, an ex-Texan, purchased A Hitch in Twilight. I gave Dawn the url to duotrope.com, where she can find places to send her work. The books they chose as gifts showed eclectic taste: Hamlet, Robot, an intellectual's theory that machines will one day rule, and a fantasy epic Brent had read as a teenager. Good luck, Dawn.
I also sold the last of Michael's four-book donation of crime novels in Russian - to Grandma, who doesn't speak much English and cracks up when I say "Spasibo." I also sold two books on needlepoint to a young man buying for his mom, and two mysteries to a family of four. Thanks, everybody.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment