Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 10/4

I had a hop in my step the past two days, as I've been researching how to place a novel on Kindle at amazon. To my surprise, there is no fee. I wouldn't do it if there were. I'm a little deflated right now, as I've been unable to find out how to create a cover for free. I thought I had the problem licked when I found an article detailing how easily it can be done with Powerpoint. Problem is, my program is read only, and the full monty is $119. There are sites that offer it for free, but I'm leery of a virus. I'm going to contact some friends for ideas.
The manuscript in question is controversial in a couple of aspects. The first is not uncommon and would be offensive only to adherents of political correctness. It involves the despicable words and actions of some of the characters, but isn't any different than what is seen and heard in the films of Martin Scorsese. Only the narrow-minded would see it as advocacy of bigotry. The second aspect would be controversial even though the planned event is abandoned. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if, should someone at amazon read it, it were taken down, even though the part in question is only one-tenth of the narrative and does not occur until the next to last chapter. I actually self-published it through AuthorHouse as an ebook months after 9/11. Since I consider it my best work, I wanted it out there in case the worse happened. I even allowed a website to serialize it. I eventually pulled it from AH, and the website went bye-bye. All that remains of the book on the web is an excerpt at buzzle.com, which has pulled 80% of what I've posted there, but not that.
The name of the novel is Killing. It explores the theme in every aspect I was able to conjure. While writing it I was intent on making it as true as possible, thus I employed strict Brooklynese, which made it unreadable for many. It wasn't 100% Brooklynese, but very close, possibly 95%. Perhaps that compromise alone should have showed me how wrong I was. I have since amended the dialogue. It remains miles from standard English. I also believe is true to the characters. I use a lot of the bastardized Sicilian terms I grew up with, and include a translation key ala Anthony Burgess in A Clockwork Orange. I believe the open-minded would be engrossed. Stay tuned.
The floating bookshop did not open today. I accompanied my friend Arlynn to the doctor and it turned into a marathon of waiting. She got her money's worth out me. Usually, I feel as if I'm stealing.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment