Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 10/18

Susan, a grandma whose son has settled in Thailand, has been my most faithful customer. She spends the cold months overseas. I thought I'd seen the last of her until the spring, so I was happily surprised when she showed today. I'd put aside two books on Jewish culture for her. She bought them, along with Monica Ali's Brick Lane. I didn't expect it, as I'd figured she was packed and ready to go, as she is leaving next week. She showed me a picture of her family, her five grand kids. Chauvinist pig that I am, I immediately noticed how beautiful her daughter in law is.
"She's also a beautiful person," she said, "which means more to me."
"Forgive me," I returned, flushing. "Men are dogs."
She got a big laugh out of that, our separate reactions, hers being so much like a mom's and mine so typically male. God speed, Susan, and thanks.
I got a call from Arlynn this morning, putting me on standby. She employs an attendant a few hours each week, who cleans and accompanies her shopping. Ann Marie, whose roots are in the South, has had a tough life. She has little education and seems years older than 50. She spent yesterday in the court system. Her oldest son is accused of pistol whipping a woman. He is a moron, in the least. Just months ago, he was jailed for another offense. The judge let him off, as the young man made a false promise to get a job and an equivalency diploma. It was just another case of a liberal judge reaping what he has sowed, not personally, of course. The young woman suffered that. Ann Marie has two other sons. Neither works. She was so happy when her youngest was hired as a security guard. He lasted two weeks. Their father is absent, and Ann Marie's companion, who faces deportation to Haiti, seems like another sponge, not a father figure. She supports them all. Time for some tough love, Ann Marie. Kick them all out. Of course, being a mom, she will hold out hope until the end. Hopefully it will not be a tragic one.
The 84-year-old veteran dropped off two books, James Patterson's Lifeguard, co-written with Andrew Gross, and a four-in-one hard cover featuring Maeve Binchy and Michael Crichton, both of which a young woman of color pounced on minutes later, along with four other books. Thanks, ma'am, and thanks to the elderly couple who donated three pristine hardcovers, including John Grisham's The Summons.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment