Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 10/5

So the left is trying to incite its own grassroots movement. Good, that's what free speech is all about. Now how about trying to articulate some ideas. Blocking traffic is not a solution, nor is saying corporations are evil. In my mind, the protests should be in Washington, where the real enemy is. The most evil acts in history have been perpetrated by governments, including the confiscation of wealth by the Soviets, and we all know how that played out - the murder and repression of millions. You can look it up.
Roseanne Barr has said anyone who is worth a hundred million or more should be sent to a re-education camp and, if he/she does not repent, should have his head cut off. Of course, that would leave the millions she has earned safe from confiscation.
Enough politics. On a light note, the name of the kid running Waj's gyro stand is Ali Baba - at least that's what he told me. Sometimes I wonder if it's Al Qaeda. When I step up to the truck I'm so tempted to say: "Open sesame." I wonder if he would recognize it. He may not have heard it in any form but his native tongue. I haven't heard it in decades myself. I can still picture Jon Hall and the luscious Maria Montez on their stallions in Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves (1944). The squeaky-voiced Andy Devine played Abdullah! Remember his show (this goes back to the 50's, kids)? I will always remember him saying: "Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy," which introduced a talking frog. There was also a theme song: "I've got a gang, you've got a gang - everybody's gotta have a gang - but there's only one gang for me - good ol' Andy's Gang." Of course, this was way before the Crips and Bloods.
A few days ago Michael, a young grandpa who lives on one of the upper floors in our building, donated four crime novels in Russian. Today I sold three of them. Thanks, sir. And thanks to the gentleman who purchased The Microwave Cookbook, though why anyone would want to cook with that device is beyond me. I use mine only to warm items.
It looks like the gloomy weather has finally broken. Hooray!
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature/

No comments:

Post a Comment