Total Pageviews

Friday, May 27, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 5/27

The floating bookshop suffered its first theft today - in broad daylight - when a little girl absconded with a children's book, unbeknownst (is there such a word?) to her mom, who was perusing her electronic device. I chuckled and kept my mouth shut. I doubt she knew she was stealing. I'd bet she assumed the books were there for the taking.
For a long while it seemed that would be my only action. I was finally shooed from my usual nook, as someone from the building's management, which is not on the premises, happened to show up. I didn't argue. I'm not out there to make enemies. I've been expecting it. I set up about 75 feet away, just past a bus shelter. I received a two-book donation from an 84-year-old veteran who gets books from the VA, and five more from one of my regulars, Dave, whose wife has been pressing him to get rid of the stacks he's accumulated. It seemed that would be it until Feng Wu, an adorable Asian of about 20, not confident with English, stopped by and asked if I had any short stories. I showed her A Hitch in Twilight, doubting she would be interested. When I said the first story takes place in Brighton Beach and another in Coney Island, she was sold. She asked for my website and email address. I was so grateful I gave her three first rate books as a gift: Nicholas Sparks' The Last Song, Susan Elizabeth Phillips' romance potboiler Ain't She Sweet, and James Patterson's I, Alex Cross, which Dave had given me. He also donated three pristine hardcover Greg Iles thrillers and three valuable paperbacks. Thanks, folks.
This morning I learned I'd won a contest. Monica Brinkman, host of a blogradio broadcast focused on writing, and author of The Turn of the Karmic Wheel, runs one as a means of publicity. I forgot to ask if it was her book I'd won. I hope so. I've been dying to read it.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment