Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 5/14

Today offered more proof that something positive will happen as long as an effort is made. I set up shop outside the Dolfin Gym on 24th Avenue and 86th Street. It soon began sprinkling. Rain is in the forecast for several days. I decided to wait to see if it would pass, covering the books with plastic bags. Sure enough, it didn't last more than a few of minutes. A couple of people teased on the huge Russian-English dictionaries. When they refused the bargain basement price, I was sure the session would be fruitless. Then, just as I was about to begin packing up, a guy with a heavy Italian accent asked if I had any medical books. I was about to say no when I recalled two large textbooks, on Biology and Psychology, that were among Abdul the Friendly Porter's latest donation. I figured a brainy Russian would eventually spot and buy them. Thank heaven for brainy goombahs. He waited while I hustled to the trunk of my car and back. Turns out he's on disability, diabetic and suffering from prostate cancer. He's returning to Italy soon and is worried the payments will be stopped. I didn't know what to say other than: "Grazie asai e buona fortuna."
I love crime films, so I was really looking forward to The Town (2010), starring, directed and co-written by the much maligned Ben Affleck, who has made quite a comeback, starting in 2007 with Gone Baby Gone, which he also directed and co-wrote (based on Dennis Lehane's novel). Both films are set in the Boston area. He was raised in nearby Cambridge. Although I enjoyed The Town, I wasn't as enthusiastic about it as the critics were. I thought it strained credulity. I just didn't buy that the gang would continue high profile heists while the proverbial heat was so intense. And the love affair (Rebecca Hall) didn't work for me. Also, the narrative places the viewer in the main character's corner, similar to the Corleones in The Godfather (1972), when what should be hoped is that he will be blown away. Still, it worked on a visceral level. I did not pause the film once during its two-hour running time. And the performances were first rate, especially Blake Lively, who I'd seen only on Page Six of the New York Post until now. She was great. On a scale of five, three. Affleck, a handsome man, is a good actor and good writer. Given his work on The Town and Gone Baby Gone, he is apparently a good director as well. And he is married to the beautiful and talented Jennifer Garner. Hmmm - maybe we should hate him.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment