Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 5/23

The world hasn't ended and neither has the miserable stretch of weather here in New York. We have an allotment of one or two sunny days per week. I suppose we should be happy, given what the poor folks in the south and Joplin, Missouri have suffered. Nothing is as merciless as mother nature.
Since it was another day of the sky seemingly about to give way any minute, I set up shop at the viaduct on Avenue Z & East 15th, and gazed longingly two blocks to my left at the people passing my usual nook. I had no luck today, but I give thanks to lovely young Audrey, who purchased A Hitch in Twilight yesterday outside the Dolphin Gym at 24th Avenue & 86th Street. Why that corner attracts buyers for that book is a mystery. So few people even stop, and it seems 50% of the passersby are Asian and don't speak any English. Maybe there is some psychic Sicilian residue still in the air of that changed neighborhood.
I got a great email from my old buddy Bobby Buls, a former gold trader at the Exchange. It was commentary on Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu's anger at President Obama's suggestion that Israel return to the pre-1967 borders. It suggested the USA move back to its 1776 borders. Perhaps we should all return to the country of our parents' origin and leave America to the indians. Let's see - Hamas, which has vowed to destroy Israel, dominates power amongst Palestinians. Why not allow them to move the missiles they fire into Israel every day even closer? Will Jews ever be allowed to live in a Palestinian state, as Muslims live in Israel and even serve in its government? Don't hold your breath.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment