Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 5/19

It was a good day. The sun actually came out for a few hours and the rain held off, allowing me to make some sales. A lovely woman of color recognized me from the period I'd set up shop on Kings Highway, before the police cracked down. She purchased seven paperback thrillers. Thank you, madam. A gentleman who barely spoke English purchased the remaining Russian-English dictionary. I tried to explain it was incomplete, going up only to R, but he didn't understand. At the price of a dollar, it was a steal, anyway. He later returned from shopping and purchased an instructional book on photography. Spasiba, my friend. I also had a conversation about music with a guy who goes back as far as me. He looked through the remaining CDs and was surprised to find Robin Trower's awesome Bridge of Sighs (1974), one of my all-time favorites. He knew Trower played in Procol Harem, whose Whiter Shade of Pale (1967) remains popular to this day and pops up on a movie sound track now and then. He was impressed I knew PH's other American Top 40 hit - Conquistador (1967). He wound up taking a chance on Emerson, Lake and Powell (1986). ELP's original drummer, Carl Palmer, is still banging away, touring with his own eponymous band. Cozy Powell did stints with the Jeff Beck Group, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, post Ozzy Osbourne Black Sabbath, and artists like Queen's Brian May and Yngwie Malmstein. He was killed crashing his Saab 9000 at 104mph in 1998. He was 53.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment