Total Pageviews

Monday, December 31, 2018

The Writer's Life 12/31 - Pot o'Gold


As the move toward the legalization of marijuana continues to pick up steam, organizations and individuals are lining up to cash in on the expected windfall. Here's a hilarious quote from today's NY Post from Stuart Appelbaum, head of The Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union: "When people buy marijuana, I hope they look for the union label." Life never ceases to fascinate. Sounds like perfect fodder for the satirical ads SNL used to run.

It's Black Monday in the NFL, the day those coaches on thin ice who haven't been fired get the ax. The head men of the Bengals, Dolphins, Broncos, Jets, Buccaneers and Cardinals got the boot. The only surprise was the last, and a mild one at that. In his lone season at Arizona's helm, Steve Wilks' team went 3-13... To the chagrin of their haters, the Patriots clinched a first round bye yesterday. They only had to beat the Jets. They have the advantage of playing in a division in which they are rarely challenged. It won't be surprising if they make it back to the Super Bowl, to which they'd advanced each time they'd earned the bye in the Belichick era. The track record of their possible opponents, with the exception of the Ravens, is not good. Andy Reid's teams almost always fade down the stretch, and the Chiefs don't seem to be any different. Only die-hards believe the Chargers will finally rise to the occasion. The Colts are unproven, despite their impressive late season run. The Texans seem the team most likely to be routed. How refreshing that the Steelers are on the outside looking in. Experts are saying they wouldn't want to be playing Baltimore right now. We'll see. As for the NFC, I'll be surprised if the Saints don't make it to the big show, although they screwed up monumentally in last year's post season. They seem to have the most balance, both sides of the ball. The Rams' defense has been very vulnerable lately. The Eagles are not nearly as good as they were in 2017. Are the Bears ready after their terrific season? I'd be very surprised. The Cowboys have had woeful luck in the playoffs under Jason Garrett. The Seahawks continue to be a tough out despite the loss of so many stars from their back to back Super Bowl years. I don't care who wins - as long as it's not Patriots. I wouldn't bet against them.

I tallied up the floating book shop's 2018 results. For the second straight year, I sold 41 copies of my own books on the street. I sense it will be less in 2019, as it's unlikely anyone will buy all nine at once - soon ten - as Gonzo did. I'm $808 in the red on my books, but if sales of the other wares are put in the mix I'm way ahead. Even when I buy copies of Inside Out, and five of Close to the Edge, which has been sold out for months, the deficit will remain wiped out and then some. In the years I've been doing the floating book shop, I'm more than 15 grand ahead.

My thanks to the woman who bought I Heart New York, chick lit by Lindsey Kelk, the only sale on this raw day.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment