Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Writer's Life 12/11 - This n That

The remains of a ship have washed ashore on Lake Michigan near the town of Whitehall. No, it's not the Edmund Fitzgerald. It's the LC Woodruff, which sank in 1887. Here's a pic from the Twitter feed of Michael Audia:


From the Weird But True column in today's NY Post, in my own words: I'm not sure if the following should be cited for creativity or questioned for unintended consequences. China is using roaches to decompose garbage. It has dumped nearly a billion on a site that contains 50 tons of kitchen waste, hoping the bugs will whittle it down considerably.

From Fox News: I doubt this will be the end of this story but "The U.S. District Court today ordered Stormy Daniels to pay President Trump $293,052.33 to reimburse his attorneys’ fees (75% of his total legal bill), plus an additional $1,000 in sanctions to punish her for having filed a merit-less lawsuit against the President designed to chill his free speech rights." I also loved the way Mr. Trump went after swamp rats Schumer and Pelosi over funding for the border wall.

I completed the third proofreading of the file of the novel I intend to self-publish soon. I'm very happy with it, although I doubt it will generate more sales than any of my other books. Even though there is a lot of sex, lovers of erotica would have to be patient for the point where the hot stuff begins. As in all of my works except for A Hitch in Twilight, it's an examination of the bittersweet mystery of life. That's the target audience. Of course, each year I've run into difficulties getting a book to market. This morning I uploaded the file to KDP and, after it was reviewed, received a message that margins are incorrect on 20 pages within the first 46. The instructions on how to fix the problem do not seem to make sense. Of course, they are written by folks who are savvy techies. I might try to correct the problem manually. Also, I was told the author's photo is too large. I'll have to learn how to shrink it.

The floating book shop returned to its usual nook today. There was no wind, so I was able to put in two-and-a-half hours under the scaffold. Folks kept me busy, as if they'd been awaiting my return. My thanks to the gentleman who donated about 20 DVD's, and to the one who left a bag of Debbie Macomber paperbacks. Since I already have about 20 of those in a box people have been ignoring, I left the new additions in the lobby of our co-op. A woman approached and said her son-in-law had passed away and left behind a lot of books. She went home and returned with about 40, a lot of them weighty intellectual stuff. I brought most of them back to the apartment, not to read but to bring them out gradually. Fortunately, there were buyers as well. My thanks to Romanian born artist Andu, who went the sci-fi route with The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle and Traitor to the Living by Phillip Jose Farmer; and to the woman who purchased four paperbacks in Russian; and to Ira, who jumped on pictorials about NYC and Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment