Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

The Writer's Life 10/9 - Words & Pictures

What does Nikki Haley's resignation mean? I have no idea.

Philadelphia is home to the nation's oldest navy yard. At an abandoned warehouse there, U.K.-based artists Filthy Luker and Pedro Estrellas created this awesome homage to 1950's Hollywood sci-fi:


There is a great pic in today's NY Post of L.A. Dodgers 3B Manny Machado watching the three-homer he hit in last night's series clincher vs. the Braves. Attributed to Getty Images, I was unable to find it on the web, so I took a picture of the picture with my tiny Bell & Howell camera. While quality is lacking, it remains an awesome photo:


I've finished the first of three proof-readings of the novel I will self-publish in January. I'm happy with it, although I expect it to suffer the same sales fate as my nine other books, despite the sexual content. Lovers of erotica may feel there is too much of the other aspects of life in the way in its 290 pages. I will use two tags in the blurbs: "Not much plot, plenty of action" and "Can a novel be both explicit and meaningful?" Henry Miller was a big influence on me. His work is certainly meaningful, but can be only loosely described as novels. They seem more like memoir. Perhaps they were very early examples of the modern category of "creative non-fiction." I still have thoughts I want to add to the narrative, but formatting problems in Word have hampered me. I converted the file to PDF, and this morning I searched for sites that would allow the editing of it for free. I found a promising one, but failed to spot a way to save it to my desktop. I neglected to see if there was a way of saving work on site. I'll check again later. Whatever will be, I'll let the manuscript sit until on or about November 1st, when round two will begin.

My thanks to the woman who donated seven hardcover thrillers in Russian, all in excellent condition, and to Wolf, who bought four of them. He walked away with novels by Tom Clancy in his first language and English. My thanks also to the woman who bought a romance in Russian, and to the guy who calls me Irv, who chose a sci-fi novel; and to the young woman who always buys non-fiction, who selected two, one of them The Birth of Tragedy and The Case of Wagner by Friedrich Nietzsche.

No comments:

Post a Comment