Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

The Writer's Life 10/17 - Personages

How disappointing that President Trump resorted to name-calling in his battle with Stormy Daniels. He had her down on the mat - metaphorically speaking. She won this latest round.

Artist Jeffrey Koons creates balloons worth moons. Here's one that sold for $58.4 million:


An article in the NY Post informs that personal items of Marilyn Monroe will soon be auctioned. One is a Jewish prayer book. She converted before marrying playwright Arthur Miller. The opening bid is $4600. It is expected to fetch as much as $12,000. Here's a pic. The address is the temple at which Miller worshiped:




From the Post's Weird But True column, edited by yours truly: Preston Edwards tends goal for London's Dulwich Hamlet FC, which is in the sixth tier of English football. During a recent match there was an announcement that a car faced towing. It belonged to Edwards. Fans began shouting: "... move your car... move your car." A fan moved it for him.

A literary problem was solved during my morning walk. At one point in the novel I plan to self-publish in January, the woman learns her lover is a guitarist and asks him to play a song. I left it unnamed. Somehow I got to thinking of Joni Mitchell and it occurred to me to use Help Me, a natural fit because of the line: "We love our lovin' but not like we love our freedom." And it lent more fodder for the blurb, to which I will add: "Can a person love and be free?"

My thanks to the gentleman who purchased three books, among them The Gulag Archipelago by Alexander Solzhenitsyn and Souls on Fire by Elie Wiesel; and to the sweet elderly woman who bought bios of Moshe Dayan and the young Golda Meir, which she plans to donate to a shul; and to the Frenchman, who chose a collection of six short American novels... Just about every day the floating book shop is passed by the new owner of the Chinese bakery from which I buy two hot dog buns each Wednesday. He always says hi. I think he feels sorry for me. This morning he included a mini pastry to my purchase at no charge. Xie xie ni, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment