Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

The Writer's Life 10/3 - Good News

From Fox News, in my own words: Felix Hernandez, 32, a native Venezuelan and pitcher for the Seattle Mariners, has passed his citizenship interview. “This country has given me everything,” he said. “It’s a dream come true..." Dubbed "King Felix," the former Cy Young Award winner and six-time all-star is 168-127 in 14 seasons. Becoming a U.S. citizen may have been his greatest victory. Kudos. Here he is taking the pledge:


Also from FN, in my own words: The Las Vegas shooting occurred on 10/1/17. After a dozen major surgeries, victim Rosemarie Melanson, once on life support, was discharged from the hospital last week. She was attending the festival in the company of her two daughters when the lunatic opened fire. A bullet tore through her liver, spleen and stomach. Astonishingly, she forgives the creep. She's still in pain and has difficulty eating, and a long road to recovery. Here she is at home:


I'm halfway through the first of three planned proofings of the novel I will self publish in January. I'd hoped all the formatting issues were history, but they're not. If I try to add several sentences consecutively, a page separation occurs that can't be corrected by a simple click of the back arrow. I'm pretty sure bugs came with the system when I first downloaded Word, which was accompanied by a lot of other stuff that ruined IE and Firefox on my PC. Chrome worked well for awhile, but that too was eventually compromised. I'm using Opera these days and it's good. I really should buy a new laptop, but I hate to go to the expense when my current one works well 75% of the time. When I'm done with the third wash of the manuscript, which is scheduled for December, I'm going to download a free seven-day trial of Adobe Acrobat - if it's still available. I hope it will allow me to insert, without fuss, the half page of notes I've taken. I'll probably then reconvert to Word. Why should things be easy?

My thanks to the gentleman who bought Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Ultimatum, Dan Brown's Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, a book on the NYC subway, and a tiny booklet on rock n roll; and to the gentleman who purchased Dennis Lehane's Shutter Island; and to my main benefactress, who donated a bunch of marketable books. The most surprising sale of the day was a sci-fi novel in Russian to a middle age woman. Usually, it is the young or males who buy what many scoff as "fantastique."

No comments:

Post a Comment