Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The Writer's Life 10/10 - Post Its

In a two-page spread in today's NY Post, Maureen Callahan offers the dire views of an NYU prof who thinks Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google are negatives. I'm no expert, but I believe the pluses of those companies far outweigh the minuses. A very interesting chart accompanies the piece. It tapped into my love of stats. It is not available at the site, so I took a pic of it. I apologize for the poor quality: 



Also from the Post, in my own words: Opening soon in Manhattan, Zauo will offer a unique dining experience. Patrons will have the option of catching their own meal from large fish tanks. Customers can also opt not to wait for a bite, but they’ll have to pay extra if they want an attendant to make the catch. A striped bass will be $55 if a staff member fetches it, but $45 if the diner reels it in. The savings will come with a catch: You'll have to eat what you reel in - and that may be costly. A foot-and-a-half-long salmon trout will cost $110 — more than double the smaller rainbow trout, $38, and striped bass, $48, swimming in the same tank. There is no catch and release, as the restaurant claims fish are weakened upon being hooked and caught. When the customer makes a catch, an attendant will swoop in with a net, and then unhook the fish before sending it off to be prepared. This sounds like a novelty that will quickly fade, but there are 13 such venues in Japan, so who knows? Here's a pic of staff practicing:


A full page ad in the Post announces the availability of Hemp Oil, sold without a prescription. For those who don't know, hemp has similar properties to pot. I spotted bottles listed at less than $15. I pay $25 for green tea extract. I believe in the latter and would not give it up. I'm debating whether to add the former, wondering if it will diminish the aches and pains of aging. Then again, mine are so minor at present that I don't need more than an occasional dose of ibuprofen. This is one of many brands on the market:



My thanks to the kind folks who bought books today, and to the gentleman and lady who each donated a large bag's worth in which only two were discards, and that because of condition. The inventory has grown to a ridiculous proportion. I also had two requests for partnership. One guy parked in the bus stop at the curb. He had almost as many books in his back seat and trunk as I do. When I told him selling books on the street brought in only a few dollars most days, he deflated. Maxim, who bought Exchanges about a month ago, is so impressed with it that he wants to render an idea he has on a book about his experiences working for Bloomingdales for 20 years. I tried to encourage him to write it himself, but that didn't work. He's going to send his idea in an email. I dread it. My strategy right now is to say I have two books of my own to complete, which is true, although there will be many months when I will be idle in 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment