Total Pageviews

Monday, January 8, 2018

The Writer's Life 1/8 - The Mystery of Success

Success in coaching football is often a mystery. Why is Bill Belichick head and shoulders above his peers? Part of the reason, of course, is that Tom Brady is his quarterback. But there have been many great passers who have not experienced such success. Some never won a championship. The Chiefs had a 21-3 lead at home at halftime this weekend - and lost 22-21 to the Titans, a team that impresses no one. Andy Reid has been an NFL coach for 19 seasons, 14 with the Eagles, the last five with Kansas City. His record in the regular season is an impressive 183-120, a .604 percentage. On a list I just scanned that encompasses all factors of the profession, he is ranked 11th all-time out of 489. Yet he has struggled mightily in the post season, especially the past few seasons. His Eagles lost the 2005 Super Bowl to the Patriots, 24-21, their dreams ending with an interception in the final minute. They also lost several NFC championship games. Why has he had such bad luck? I doubt it's a lack of hard work. Coaches put in a lot of hours. Yesterday, in the second half, a field goal attempt hit the upright, a receiver dropped a third down pass, and the refs made a couple of dubious calls. His plight reminds me of that of Marty Schottenheimer, ranked seventh on that same list, .613 percentage. Some blame QB Alex Smith, whose stats in his years with the Chiefs have been phenomenal. Even when including his seasons with the woeful 49ers in the post glory years, he is ranked 49th all-time among 174 QB's. He has thrown 183 TD's against 73 interceptions. He is even a threat running the ball, having scored 14 TD's on the ground in his career, averaging 4.6 per carry. I don't get it. Maybe that's why I wasn't a successful coach myself... As for next weekend, it seems things have gone New England's way, as if they need any help. They play the Titans at home. Even if the Steelers win as expected, they will be without great WR Antonio Brown for the AFC championship game. I think the biggest threat to the Patriots is the Saints, not only because of future Hall of Fame QB Drew Brees, but because of their ability to pound on the ground with Mark Ingram and Alvin Kamara. They play at Minnesota, the true unknown in the mix. The Vikings have had a great season with career backup QB Case Keenum under center. Will that bubble burst? Jacksonville and Atlanta do not seem like bonafide contenders, but who knows? Right now the Patriots look like a lock.


I did something today I hadn't done in a long time. I walked from my apartment in Sheepshead Bay to the old house in Bensonhurst, which I did many times to shovel snow when I was younger. Down to my last pair of clean underwear, I decided to do laundry. With snow piled everywhere, I did not want to give up my parking spot. While the machine was going, I took a walk to Bay Parkway to see how conditions were in front of the Chase bank at 84th Street, hoping I'd be able to set up the floating book shop tomorrow. Unfortunately, there is a lot of snow there. I shoveled away some from that spot in the past, but not nearly as much as is piled there now. This morning I passed on the parking spot closest to my regular nook, figuring water will be pouring down from the scaffold once the snow starts melting in earnest. It looks like the shop will continued to be sidelined until at least Saturday - unless I get antsy tomorrow and decide to dig out a space. One thing I'm sure of - that was the last time I'll ever make that walk. I was bushed when I got home.

I've now proofed 174 pages of Present and Past. I'm disappointed at the number of errors I've found. Right now it's looking like there will be a third proof.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment