Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 4, 2018

The Writer's Life 1/4 - Snow Day

Michael Wolff has gone after President Trump in a new book, Fire and Fury, which debuts at #1 on Amazon. The main problem is that it is months behind. The administration has found its legs, domestically and in terms of foreign policy. The latter is cited in an op-ed piece in today's NY Post by retired Army Colonel Ralph Peters. Wolff quotes former insider Steve Bannon extensively. Bannon is an interesting character who proves that supporting anyone in politics is risky. He is negating any good that comes from Breitbart. A lawsuit is underway that claims he has violated the confidentiality agreement he signed upon leaving the White House. Talk radio host Mark Simone, a Trump supporter from day one, says the book is 80% fake and that Wolff will also be sued. I don't care about Trump's perceived lack of intellectualism. In him I see a leader who seems to know the nuts and bolts of economics, and who has a clear vision of who America's enemies are - except when it comes to Putin, an arch-villain. I'm confident fourth quarter GDP growth will exceed three-percent, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's double that. Of course, it is possible that the current gains are merely a blip. The key will be the numbers in the first quarter. If the pace continues then - four straight quarters of growth above three percent - the credit will be all Trump's, who had almost zero help from the swamp. Meanwhile, expect his enemies and the mainstream media to keep trying to take him out.

I'd never heard the term "Cyclone Bomb," which is being used to describe the current snowstorm. At first accumulation in NYC was expected to be two to four inches. It is well beyond that, although with all the drifting from the wind it is hard to say how deep it is. Here are a couple of pics I took just before four PM. The first is outside the doors of our building, the second of my old Hyundai. Shoveling will begin in the bitter cold tomorrow.



Interesting that there isn't much on the car, no doubt because of the stiff wind. Radio reports say the salting of the streets does not help much when the temperature is really low. It is expected to be in the single digits. One aspect of removal I hadn't noticed prior to last year is the dust clouds that form from all the crushed rock salt. The past two days there was a layer of it on each of the covers of my books as I closed up shop. Tiny bits also get into the grooves of sneakers and is tracked into the apartment, where I always go barefoot.

I was hoping the second proof copy of Present and Past would arrive yesterday. Now I wonder if it will be delayed a few days. Since the weather is supposed to be brutal through the weekend, it's a perfect time to get literary work done, to make good use of time instead of just idling it away. I spent an hour doing an initial clean up of the file of the novel I hope to self-publish two years hence. I did 38 pages. I thought I'd saved it, but it seems to have disappeared. Arrrgh! 

The premiere of Season 11 of The X-Files was stale. It continues the arc that should have ended long ago. It had nothing fresh to offer. 
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment