Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The Writer's Life 1/16 - Voices, One Stilled, Another Probing

The music world suffers the death of many young performers. The passing of Dolores O'Riordan, 46, of the Cranberries is particularly shocking. She seemed to have recovered from back problems and had returned to live gigs. In 1994 she and her mates took planet Earth by storm with a powerful anthem on the Irish "Troubles." Zombie was a worldwide #1, fueled by O'Riordan's passionate vocal. I heard it on the radio just yesterday and, as always, sang along to "It's in your head, your head..." Here's a clip of the band's performance of the anthem on SNL. Thank you, Madam. RIP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeahBLM0QaQ


I received an email from Amazon this morning encouraging me to offer one of my books in a free Kindle giveaway at Goodreads. I hadn't logged into the site in ages, so long ago that my 2009 email address was my moniker. I just changed it to my current one and hit the link for verification. Of course, no email has followed - at least not yet. Just as in the formatting of my ninth book - why should it be easy?

While the mainstream media focuses on getting President Trump, it ignores a scandal that may be, in the words of a former secret service agent: "Watergate on steroids." Sara Carter has been investigating the Clinton Foundation's purchase of the fake Russian dossier on Trump for more than a year. That dossier was used by the Obama administration as justification for spying on Trump. I have no idea where this will lead. I suspect the swamp will close ranks to keep a lid on the specifics, as the public's opinion of politicians is at an all-time low. When I hear what may have gone down, I shake my head. It's the stuff of fiction. I have to check my partisanship, my desire to see all the accused pay the price for the alleged treachery, and President Trump vindicated. If the parties were reversed, the mainstream media would be all over the story demanding answers. Here's a picture of Carter, who seems one of the few genuine reporters left in this country:


Given the cold and forecast for precipitation, I wasn't expecting to operate the floating book shop today. Fortunately, the snow/rain held off and there was no wind, which enabled me to put in a couple of hours at my regular nook, despite the lack of sunshine. My thanks to the 30-something couple who purchased vinyl compilations by the Everly Brothers, Paul Anka and Andy Williams, and to the gentleman who bought a book in Russian.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment