Total Pageviews

Monday, January 29, 2018

The Writer's Life 1/29 - The Humanity

From Yahoo's Odd News, edited by yours truly: Police say they discovered nearly a half-ton of undelivered mail in a rogue postman's garage in Vincenza, Italy. It had been collecting for the past eight years and included utility bills, bank statements, old phone books and political propaganda from 2010. It will now be delivered to its rightful owners, a tad too late. Rumors peg his name as Newmano. "Oh, the humanity!"


I'm nearing the completion of the current go around with my ninth book, Present and Past. I've found and corrected only one egregious error. I made three changes today. The first was a name from Ferrara to Fontana. Years ago the former, my long-time golf buddy, related a Las Vegas story. Although a friend of his was the subject, I named the book's character Ferrara. Since it is an unflattering portrait, I thought it best to use a fictional name. The second change involved distance. I cited "1000" miles and determined the vaguer "hundreds of miles" would work better, especially if it was off by a couple of hundred. The third involved the position of a car during the climax. It needed clarity. Yesterday I was bummed about having to resubmit. Now I'm glad to have the opportunity to make the novel a little bit better. I just hope I haven't added any new errors. The reading should be finished sometime tomorrow. Then I will scan for anything I may have missed, and then covert the file to PDF. Once I've done that I will scan it to make sure everything is in place. Having thought the work was done, I approved the book and ordered three copies from Amazon. Those and the two proof copies will be a bit different than the finished product. I don't anticipate them ever being collectors' items, though one can always dream. I'm glad I wasn't so cocky as to order 25. 

It was a surprising day for the floating book shop. A woman donated a bag of books, a blend of English and Russian. The three Russian ones sold, as did a forth from the box I had on display. My thanks to the lady who made the donation and gentleman and elderly woman who purchased the four books, and also to the guy who bought The Secret War Against the Jews: How Western Espionage Betrayed The Jewish People by John Loftus and Mark Aarons; to the one who purchased Lasher by Anne Rice; to Barry, who overpaid for Truth About Kent State: A Challenge to the American Conscience by Peter Davies, which was first published in 1973; and to the local home attendant who selected vinyl albums by Glen Campbell, Brook Benton and Charley Pride.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment