Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 14, 2018

The Writer's Life 1/14 - Never Give Up the Dream

Here's another example of why no one should ever give up on a dream, culled from an article in today's NY Post, edited by yours truly: "A year ago Bill Hudson, 70, was singing doo-wop with a group of seniors at the 34th Street Herald Square station. Now the Bronx resident is fronting the 12-piece John the Martyr, performing in hip clubs like Brooklyn’s Knitting Factory and gearing up for his first record. He sang with bar bands in his youth, but put aside his ambitions when he got married and started a family. In 2010 he joined the a cappella group Spank, performing on cruises and as part of the MTA’s Music Under New York subway-platform program, which is how young JTM songwriter Kyle Ridley met him. At first Hudson wasn’t sure his soul stylings would meld with the band’s blend of rock, New Orleans jazz, traditional Japanese music and funk. He now loves playing with the 20- and 30-somethings in the group." Here's Hudson:


Michael Goodwin included info from the NY Times in his op-ed piece in the Post: "Your
government at work. ...the IRS paid private companies $20 million to collect $6.7 million from tax scofflaws." This is one of the reasons I support a flat tax and a dramatic curtailing of that
woe-begotten department. I hope its detractors never give up the dream of putting it out to pasture.

Jacksonville has shocked the Steelers in Pittsburgh, despite the return of WR Antonio Brown, out several weeks due to a calf injury. Do things always seem to fall New England's way, or am I just imagining it? Then again, recall that the Tom Coughlin led Giants beat the Patriots twice when it counted most. He is now GM of the Jaguars. Dream on, Patriot-haters.

While I was setting up the floating book shop today I didn't think I was going to last very long in the cold, despite the sunshine and diminished wind. Then I realized the breeze coming through Chase's drive-thru, so I moved over a bit and stood with my back to the bank's side wall. That did the trick. My thanks to the gentleman who gave me two bucks. I usually don't like to accept charity, but I wanted to make sure the drive to Park Slope and standing in the cold wasn't completely worthless. My thanks also to the guy who purchased one of the books in Tom Clancy's Net Force series. I thought that would be it until one of my recent admirers showed up walking his dog, saying: "There's the bard of Bensonhurst." He read Killing about a year ago and bought Five Cents a couple of months ago. He said "it really captured the era" ('70's). I was touched. His praise was greater than last time. Perhaps having read a second novel of mine proved to him the other was no fluke. He dubbed my work "significant." This time he chose A Hitch in Twilight, which I always tell customers is "just for fun." He added it to a bag of books he'd just purchased at Barnes and Noble, then stepped into the bar next door. As I was just about to break down the display, a young dad came along, his adorable one-year-old daughter strapped to his chest, and bought a Roy Orbison collection on vinyl. If I ever complain about bad luck, slap me.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment