Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The Writer's Life 1/31 - Dreamers

I did not watch the State of the Union address - I never do. I prefer the least politics possible in my life. I simply read about it the NY Post. I'm happy the President came off well. Kudos to whomever wrote the speech. "All Americans are dreamers" is a brilliant phrase.

In the mid term elections the party in power usually loses congressional seats. That seems to be the trend again as the left has galvanized. As a supporter of President Trump's policies, I hope Republicans maintain power, although they were of little help to him until the tax cut package was created. Since I'm so skeptical about the mainstream media and the polls, where in most Trump has been unable to crack the 40% approval plateau, I look for signs elsewhere. For instance, is the fact that the Grammys had a 20% drop in viewer-ship evidence that many Americans are fed up with the elite, who always tilt left? Does that pertain to the drop in NFL ratings as well? Is Trump's support outside the nation's bubbles still strong? I hope so. Although I was disappointed by the 2.6 fourth quarter growth in GDP, as the Christmas quarter should be stronger than that in a healthy economy, I believe the number in the first quarter of 2018 will be more critical. A return to 2% or worse will generate a firestorm of negativism from the left. A wild card is the release of the memo about malfeasance in the upper echelon of the FBI and Department of Justice. Will the mainstream media's spin blunt the impact? Imagine if the situation were reversed and Trump was the one helped by those officials. Such matters are usually taken in stride by the general public. It's the fiercely partisan who will battle. It will be interesting and, unfortunately, very ugly and sad. One side will continue to dream Special Counsel Mueller will oust Trump, the other will dream the memo will seriously damage the Democratic Party.


On 10/18/'96 Fox aired Home, Season 4, Episode 2, of The X-Files, about an inbred family, as good as any horror fare ever created, so disturbing it was never rebroadcast. My9 is in its second go-round of reruns of that classic series. Last night it again skipped the episode in question. WTF? For two years it ran reruns of The Walking Dead, which is off the charts in terms of carnage. I don't get it. I'm very disappointed, although I know the episode is available on DVD.

With the temperature about 20 degrees when I left the apartment, I decided it would be foolish to operate the floating book shop under the scaffold at my usual nook. I opted for an alternate site that sits in the sunshine practically the entire day. Even though I didn't do much business, it was the right move. Bundled under six layers, I was never really cold. My thanks to Mr. Conspiracy, who bought The Nazi Doctors by Robert Jay Lifton, and to the gentleman who purchased a book in Russian. Mr. C is currently reading and enjoying Michael Wolf's anti-Trump screed. It would have done no good to argue that it is based almost entirely on hearsay and that many of the instances have been denied by those mentioned in them. Yesterday I faced the same dilemma with the Lady Eve, whom I love. That's life in NYC, where most people are liberals.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc


No comments:

Post a Comment