Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 9, 2017

The Writer's Life 12/9 - Film, Money, Music

Alien Convenant (2017) is the sixth film in the series. I caught up to it last night courtesy of Netflix. It's not a bad flick - it's just more of the same. The only aspect that distinguishes it from its predecessors is Michael Fassbender's creepy turn as an android. As expected in the age of CGI, the effects and sets are first rate. Ridley Scott was at the helm, so fans know going in that it will be, in the least, watchable. Despite its predictability, I was never bored during its two hour running time. There is more gore than I've seen in a while. A malevolent being bursts from several members of the crew, just as it did from John Hurt's gut in the original way back in '79. Of course, the screenplay leaves room for a continuation, and the seventh son is in pre-production. And why not? Made on a budget of $97 million, it returned $240 million worldwide. I'll probably watch the next installment when it's issued on DVD. 174000+ users at IMDb have rated AC, forging to a consensus of 6.5 on a scale of ten. Those squeamish about blood splatter should pass. Its appeal is probably restricted to fans of the series. While viewing I was reminded of a tag line used in the trailer for the original Poseidon Adventure (1972): "Who will survive?" Here's a shot of Fassbender from the opening sequence:



Snow put the kibosh on the floating book shop today. It gave me a chance to catch up on chores. I hit the ATM and while in the bank decided to see to something I'd been putting off. Fortunately, my account manager was free. I asked about long term insurance. Since I'm 67, the plan the bank and a partner offer requires a deposit of $100,000. It's best to begin such a policy at age 50. I don't have that much free cash. I would have to draw funds from my retirement accounts, which I've yet to touch. I have $140,000 in an annuity at the bank. I suggested using that and was told the taxes would be 40 grand - those thieving bastards! I would suffer similarly if I withdrew money from my two IRA's, so I probably won't be doing it. I'd always looked at my retirement plans as insurance, anyway, and so it will remain. The woman said she'd send details of what the insurance company would require. I doubt I'll go for it, but at least I got it out of the way.

Since I had plenty of time on my hands when I got home, I decided to do what I've done for many years now - download a list of songs I've jotted down the past six months or so, and burn a CD for each of my four nieces. After downloads at Amazon, paid for with the gift certificate money I've accumulated doing surveys, the list has 17 songs, 64 minutes worth of great music. The first four come from a disc my buddy Bags burned for me last Christmas:
Just Dropped In - 1st Edition
Sangria - Blake Shelton
Mama's Broken Heart - Miranda Lambert
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
Reelin' & Rockin' (Live) - Chuck Berry. Heard for the first time this year. It's a riot.
Yakety Yak - The Coasters
Sunshine Superman - Donovan
Riders on the Storm - The Doors
You Can't Sit Down - The Dovells
 As Time Goes By - E. Humperdinck. Also heard for the first time this year. Beautiful!
I'm Walkin' - Fats Domino
By the Time I Get to Phoenix - Glen Campbell
If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot
You don't Mess Around with Jim - Jim Croce
My Baby Just Cares for Me - Nina Simone
Ya Got Trouble - Robert Preston. Don't know how I overlooked this one for my Showstoppers disc.

My thanks to whomever downloaded Exchanges to Kindle. Unfortunately, the publisher, Wheelman Press, has yet to pay royalties for the 40 or so copies that have sold.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

 

No comments:

Post a Comment