Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The Writer's Life 12/26 - Love Letter

The following letter was found inside a wall during a home remodeling in Massachusetts, and authorities are asking the public's help in finding the woman for whom it was intended, Betty Miller. What's nice about it is that it's from an average guy, not a writer. Whenever I include a letter by a non-author in one of my novels, I have to guard against it sounding too polished.



(Article from AP, photos from dailymail.com)

With frigid temperatures on the way and likely to put the kibosh on the floating book shop, I gave it  a shot today. I did not leave the apartment until the clouds had moved away. I needed every bit of what little warmth the sun was offering. My first goal was to give Mayor Mike $45 for the nine vinyl albums I've sold for him. That was accomplished quickly. Minutes later a woman bought four cook books and Reader's Digest: Fix It Yourself Manual, How to Repair, Clean and Maintain Anything and Everything in and Around Your Home. Later Bill Brown, author of Words and Guitar: A History of Lou Reed's Music, visited. He's at the end of a two-week battle with the flu. He purchased two Elvis Presley gospel discs and Willa Cather's Alexander's Bridge, first published in 1912. And to top off the surprising session, a woman bought Wicked: Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire. I was out there barely two hours. It remains to be seen if I will be hardy enough to venture out there again tomorrow, when the temperature is supposed to be a bit lower. The long range forecast has the cold snap lasting at least until next Tuesday.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment