Total Pageviews

Friday, December 15, 2017

The Writer's Life 12/15 - Will's Words

News has broken that powerhouse lawyers Gloria Allred and her daughter, Lisa Bloom, offered cash in the days leading up to the election to any woman who would accuse then candidate Donald Trump of sexual misconduct. Although they are sleaze balls, I don't have a problem with it. If the claims were vetted, verified, it would have been fair game. Apparently, not much was found, although there will probably be an avalanche coming soon. Mere accusations have already taken out many public figures - no trial - guilty until proven innocent. "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." -  Henry VI, Part Two, Act IV, Scene II by William Shakespeare.

I just responded to an email inviting me to send a free tweet about one of my books, and got this message after completing the process: "It worked! We just tweeted your message to our 58,800 followers on Twitter." I doubt it will lead to any sales. Those folks, like me, are probably writers desperate for sales of their own books. I chose to promote Rising Star, which has been my most disappointing seller, although it is one of three of my eight books that is profitable. That's not surprising, as it and short story collection A Hitch in Twilight are the most commercial of my books. Killing, which I consider my best work, is also profitable, due largely to the fact that my literary angel, Victoria Valentine of Water Forest Press, put it into print as payment for my helping with the editing of one of her novels. She charges me six and change per copy, which leads to more than a three buck profit for each street sale. "Write till your ink be dry, and with your tears/ Moist it again..." Two Gentlemen of Verona, Act III, Scene II.

The lack of sunshine put the kibosh on the floating book shop today. Fortunately, I had a few chores to fill time. I cleaned my wood floor and sent out this year's charitable donations - $55 in total to five organizations. When I had a real job I spent $100 alone on toys and put them in a bin at CVS, which distributed them to the Toys for Tots program. I sent $100 to a pro-life group, and a lot more than five bucks to other organizations. I gave the Super $100 instead of $25, and dropped a twenty in the kitty at the Delmar pizzeria. It was easy then. The brokers at the Commodity Exchange were very generous at Yuletide. These days I try to spend as little as possible, just in case I'll need cash for medical expenses down the road. I haven't touched my retirement accounts, as Social Security and the proceeds from the floating book shop cover the expenses of my minimalist lifestyle. Recently, I've been assigning benefactors to those three accounts. Who knows if there will be any money left by the time I "shuffle off this mortal coil," to coin the phrase the Bard of Avon gave Hamlet in his immortal soliloquy, Act III, Scene I.


Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment