Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The Writer's Life 12/12 - Me, Irv

My gut feeling is that Roy Moore will lose the senate race. The polls are in conflict. Former NBA star and Alabama native son Charles Barkley, who has frequently backed Republicans, is campaigning against Moore. I expect Democratic turnout to be huge, and many Republicans to stay home or write-in someone else. If Moore goes down, expect the sexual harassment charges against the President to intensify. Now that the Russia collusion probe seems dead, Trump's opponents will change course.


I've avoided saying anything about LaVar Ball. His bluster turns me off. His oldest son, Lonzo, spent only a single year at UCLA, was the number two pick in the 2017 draft and is a potential star. His middle son, LaMelo, was caught shoplifting in China, released from incarceration with President Trump's help, and suspended indefinitely by UCLA. His father pulled him out of the school - right move, wrong reason. Any college that has a one-and-done player should be penalized, perhaps a forfeit of one of the scholarships each program is allotted. Now the senior Ball has arranged for his two younger sons - LiAngelo is the third - to play professionally in Lithuania. At this point neither is considered an NBA prospect. It will be interesting to track, and surprising if the move is successful. I wish all one-and-done players would choose such a course, whether stateside or overseas. The current system is bogus.

Through the years, certain viewers of golf have spotted violations and immediately telephoned to report them, often costing a player a win. The PGA has finally come to its senses and enacted a rule against busybody tattletales.

There ought to be a box score in news reporting, a separate line for retractions. This week alone has seen several. Is it sloppy journalism or simply the mainstream media using carte blanche in its effort to derail Trump?

As I was driving home yesterday, I was thinking the only way I'd be able to run the floating book shop today was if I landed the most favorable parking spot, which sits beside the scaffold that hovers above my regular nook. There used to be two of equal value. One is now occupied by a dumpster.  To my surprise, the other was available and I told myself: You gotta be the luckiest so-and-so there ever was. I didn't do a lot of business, but I was protected from any rain that may have fallen, and it got me out of the house for more than three hours. My thanks to the sweet elderly woman who bought a book in Russian, and to the gentleman who purchased Ann Rice's The Queen of the Damned. For some reason he thinks my name is Irv. I've never corrected him. For one, I find it funny. Later, I was speaking to Mike, an old-timer who frequently stops to chat, usually about gambling. He spotted Political Man approaching and said: "Uh-oh, here comes meshuggah." PM still dubs Donald Trump a Nazi, despite the fact that the President recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Egypt. He is certain impeachment is imminent.

Happy Hanukkah to Jews everywhere. Long live Israel.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc

No comments:

Post a Comment