Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

The Writer's Life 12/6 - Too Far?

Special prosecutor Robert Mueller had to fire an assistant for anti-Trump bias - only because he was caught. I still believe if the President goes down it will be because of financial shenanigans uncovered during the investigation, and not Russia collusion. Liberals are gloating, thinking the Trump's been got, despite the arguments of one of their icons, attorney Alan Dershowitz, to the contrary. How odd it is that A.D. has come to Trump's defense, although I'm sure it's grudging. Radio talk show hosts Mark Simone, a libertarian, and Sean Hannity, a conservative, believe the investigation is a mere partisan witch hunt, and that the Hillary campaign is the one that colluded with Russia. I didn't get a visit from Political Man, who spews anti-Trump venom as he strolls, claiming he's an anti-semite, despite the fact that Trump's three oldest children are married to Jews. I wonder how PM will spin Trump's endorsement of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Where will all this end? Stay tuned.



How often has it been said that Republicans are the party of the rich? According to the Fast Takes column in today's NY Post, Democrats hold 19 of the 25 congressional districts with the highest median income. 

I'm now settled in with my new Samsung 24 inch Smart TV. At present the only aspect I don't like about it is that the close captioning is too small and, for some reason, the ability to enlarge it is listed as "unavailable." As far as its compatibility with the cable box, the picture still breaks up occasionally. Last night it wasn't as constant as it had been with the old TV.

All the silly sports leagues leery of opening a franchise in Las Vegas take note: according to an article at ESPN, attendance at the NHL's Knights' home games has been 102.7% of capacity.

I'm more than halfway through the latest sweep of the novel I plan to self-publish, my ninth book. I've made a lot of minor changes, a few corrections. I anticipate sending it to Create Space for approval in a week or so. I will not endorse its publication until I'm satisfied the proof copy is clean as I can get it.

My thanks to Cabbie, who did a swap of paperback thrillers, and to Barry Spunt, author and professor of Criminology at John Jay College, who overpaid for bios of basketball coaching titans John Wooden and Bobby Knight; and to the gentleman who purchased yet another vinyl album, this one a compilation of rock n roll oldies. The most interesting visitors came back to back. Like me, Jeff is a former commodities trading floor employee. While I worked data entry for the Exchange, he was a clerk and trader. He has read several of my books. Today he had questions about Killing, in which it seemed to him the protagonist took a sudden leap from family man to psychopath. It is a perfectly legitimate critique. The first question I ask people who read the novel, which I believe is my best, is if he/she thinks it goes too far, even though the main character does not carry out the deed he'd planned. Jeff is only the second to have thought so. I tried to explain why the character acts as he does. Perhaps there is no interpretation other than Dante is a potential psychopath. If that's the case, I failed miserably. Before leaving, Jeff said he really enjoyed my books and looks forward to others. Minutes after he left, as I was packing up the wares, eager to get out of the cold, Mikhail showed up. I hadn't seen him in months. When his wife was placed in a hospice, his son didn't want him living alone, so he has been living in Jersey. I knew immediately from the expression on his face that his wife had passed away. All I could do was shake his hand, give him a hug, and say I was sorry. I don't know when the death occurred but it's clear Mikhail is still emotional about it. They were married 50-60 years. Rest in peace, madam. And my thanks to her beautiful human being of a husband, who purchased a fantasy in Russian. I hope it provides a pleasant distraction.
Vic's Sixth novel: http://tinyurl.com/zpuhucj 
Vic's Short Works: http://tinyurl.com/jy55pzc


No comments:

Post a Comment