Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Selling My Books on the Streets of Brooklyn 2/28

I've read 112 pages of the proof copy of Killing. So far there have been three problematic issues. I found a couple of sentences where I neglected to modify the Brooklynese, using den for then. There's been one spelling error, and one combination of paragraphs wherein two characters have dialogue. I could probably get away with leaving that as it is. I recently read a novel where it occurred frequently, so it is not uncommon, but it would be inconsistent with the rest of the book. One thing I won't do is demand the changes if it costs Victoria money. I never expected to see Killing in print, so I feel I owe her, and almost any version would be gravy. I guess I'm still hoping some big shot in the publishing world will see it and offer me a contract. This may delay the publication by a week or so. Since the forecast for tomorrow is rain, I will do a lot of reading. There comes a point when a book has to be let go. I've said this to many writer friends - a book is never finished. It may get to 99%, but something will always pop into the head about what should have been said. I should finish reviewing the proof before Saturday, when I'll visit my sister. I can't wait to see the expression on her face when I give it to her.
John, who has purchased several books from me, including Close to the Edge, is having his own problems trying to get his novel published through Book Locker. His niece designed a beautiful cover but has had difficulty meeting the specifications. It costs him $45 every time he has to make a change. I'd be so pissed. I thank him for buying the thick tome on illustrator N. C. Wyeth, and also thank the woman who purchased the VHS version of The Godfather. At one dollar, I made her an offer she couldn't refuse. I also gave It's a Wonderful Life to the 84-year-old vet who has put a lot of money in my pocket through his book donations.
Read Vic's stories, free: http://members.tripod.com/vic_fortezza/Literature

No comments:

Post a Comment